Multistrada 950

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear wheel hugger?  (Read 8801 times)

Offline Julian

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: MTS950S
  • Town / City: Bucharest
Re: Rear wheel hugger?
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2019, 08:51:57 AM »
Look's like it will to the job! And it looks nice, well done!
I'm looking forward to test mine, but the weather gone mad, this week we have 22-25 degrees(I'm not  complaining)!!

Offline Mikey

• MTS 950 Member
  • Town / City: Bridgend
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2019, 10:56:40 AM »
Sorry Dave why when you've bought a really pretty, good looking bike would you bolt on something that looks like it belongs on the batmobile?
Just goes to show what a diverse lot we are  :015: :015:

Offline IakWhisky

• MTS 950 Member
  • Town / City: Galashiels
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2019, 06:17:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mikey [+]
Sorry Dave why when you've bought a really pretty, good looking bike would you bolt on something that looks like it belongs on the batmobile?
Just goes to show what a diverse lot we are  :015: :015:
+1  :008:

Offline BabyD

• MTS 950 Master
  • Bike: Multi 1260s
  • Town / City: Buckinghamshire
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2019, 07:20:48 PM »
BATMOBILE........ :745: I can actually visualise it on the bat mobile when I think about it
If I had a second brain cell it would be so lonely......

Offline leodesmo

• MTS 950 Member
  • Bike: Multistrada 950S
  • Town / City: The Hague
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2019, 08:36:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Julian [+]
Because I am not happy with what I found online, I tried to make my own splash guard for the rear wheel. Unfortunately, or not, for the last 3 weeks from the mounting I got no raining days to test it, only at home, by the hose :)))
After I'm sure that this plate will work, I will paint it black. I know it not looks straight in pictures, but you have to trust me that it looks! I know that it's an imprevement (because of the hose test  :002: ), but if it doesn't work the way I want it to, I will bend at 90 degrees the part that comes out.
I'm not explaining the process of making this, the pictures will speak because it's an easy one:

Julian, you did a good job!
Today I needed to accompany my son to his Yamaha dealer and... I got a huge rainfall ~50KM total. After we left his bike I loaded him as passenger. We arrived at home and we couldn't believe about the status of his jacket, the back completely full of dirth, as well his pants, boots and the bike itself. I didn't mount the top case (first error), but I see that I need a urgent solution, although any of the identified ones look fully satisfactory. I wonder how it's working your solution, you didn't update us about it  :155:.
Cheers

Ducati sound - a unique symphony!!

Offline Julian

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: MTS950S
  • Town / City: Bucharest
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2019, 08:52:35 PM »
Hi leodesmo. I am sorry, simply I forgot about that.
The "setup" works like a charm. I've posted some pics some where here from the one of the last trip from this year, some wet forest road and absolutely no dirt on my topbox or the license plate. I regret that I don't have pics with the bike...
The last step for me it's to paint it in black.

So I recomend this diy plate, it really works. All you have to do is to take care of the lenght, width and more important the angle of the plate. The angle can be adjusted later.

Offline leodesmo

• MTS 950 Member
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2019, 05:15:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Daveontheedge [+]
Soooooooooooo, ya I guess it was me who blinked first.

Hi Dave, thank you for sharing your experience. I saw this one on the same website, but I have multiple questions about this one and in general about the other ones:
- Are you experiencing vibrations above a certain speed?
- Is it strong or it can move left to right and vice versa if slightly pushed with a finger?
- Did you try it already with a decent rainfall? How it's working?
I see that you have a shorter tail than mine, no reflector under the plate - and mine is bigger, it was this way or you did change it on purpose to fit this hugger?
Cheers

Offline leodesmo

• MTS 950 Member
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2019, 06:12:18 PM »
I'm studying  :001:
Analysing all the sales I could find about the other model (see my previous posts on this trail)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32884093462.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000060.1.5e482880UYjJNF&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.146401.0&scm_id=1007.13339.146401.0&scm-url=1007.13339.146401.0&pvid=df74c5aa-e273-49c9-91f3-fc605c3e79ab
I found only two that are deliberately mentioning the Multistrada 950. In fact looking to the pictures posted on each sale I identified the following anchor types, to be placed on the right of the rear fork:

At this point I see some inconsistancy, I checked the way our bike is built in that area and how the rear axle is fixed to the fork, I cannot understand how much photoshop they use on that site!

From this last picture it seems that the hugger support goes behind the plate that defines the chain tension, although it can be of two types: the U one of the generic two types or.. the hole for the axle looks too small.
Also this Advertised-for-950 has a small hole and I don't understand how it can stay in place. Ideas?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 06:17:07 PM by leodesmo »

Offline Daveontheedge

• MTS 950 Member
  • Bike: 2018 R1200RS
  • Town / City: Vancouver
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2019, 08:23:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by leodesmo [+]
Hi Dave, thank you for sharing your experience. I saw this one on the same website, but I have multiple questions about this one and in general about the other ones:
- Are you experiencing vibrations above a certain speed?
- Is it strong or it can move left to right and vice versa if slightly pushed with a finger?
- Did you try it already with a decent rainfall? How it's working?
I see that you have a shorter tail than mine, no reflector under the plate - and mine is bigger, it was this way or you did change it on purpose to fit this hugger?
Cheers

Hey Leodesmo.

-No vibrations at any speed and have been upwards of 170kph :164:
-With the brackets that it came with there is no side to side movement at all once everything is tightened down properly. It doesn't come with any installation instructions so you just use your best judgement on the torques.
-It works brilliantly! I commute daily on the bike and the winters here on the West coast of Canada are VERY wet. It Keeps 99% of the dirt and road grit confined to under the seat. No more mud streaks up my backside or on the passenger seat.
-As for the license plate mount, that was what it came with from my dealer. Yours will most likely be different due to European requirements.

I know a few of the inmates here have chirped about it looking like the Batmobile, but it works fantastic and if you are able to do any composite work with fiberglass you can always make a mould and modify the looks to suit yourself. Personally, I'm going to find a Batman emblem and mount that on there :745:

If you want any more photos or have more questions, feel free to ask.

Offline leodesmo

• MTS 950 Member
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2020, 06:49:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by leodesmo [+]
I'm studying  :001:

Yeah, after a lot of thinking, a lot of rain, a lot dirt in the back, I throw away all the remaining worries!! After a decently long search I found the cheapest generic rear hugger and I installed it!
I had to bend a little here and there; at the end I repainted the whole metal frame and in the picture you see the results. So far I only had a very short trip and..... we never had so much sunshine in the the recent months!!  :008: :001:

The quality seems ok for 26 Euro including shipping!
Cheers