Multistrada 950

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Clutch needs adjusting  (Read 901 times)

Offline Ian_H

• MTS 950 Member
  • Town / City: Amersham
Re: Clutch needs adjusting
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 08:17:00 AM »
Didn't use any wire cutters ... anyway, I'll take a closer look this week.

Next question, I've ordered the Ducati clutch cable.
Has anyone replaced the clutch cable themselves?

I'm going to imagine it looks an easy job, but also easy to get wrong in terms of adjusting the clutch ?

Online Goldstar

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: MTS 950 & 797+
  • Town / City: Norfolk
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 05:06:50 PM »
I changed mine a few months ago, I left the old cable in situ, unclipped it,  then as I withdrew it, I connected the new cable to the old, using the old cable as a guide to route the new cable.

It was a bit fiddly underneath the fuel tank, but nothing too taxing, just take your time, if you have access to another set of hands to help you, that will make life miles easier....good luck

Goldstar

Offline Ian_H

• MTS 950 Member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 07:00:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Goldstar [+]
I changed mine a few months ago, I left the old cable in situ, unclipped it,  then as I withdrew it, I connected the new cable to the old, using the old cable as a guide to route the new cable.

It was a bit fiddly underneath the fuel tank, but nothing too taxing, just take your time, if you have access to another set of hands to help you, that will make life miles easier....good luck

Goldstar

So you didn't need to remove the tank or anything .. just let one pull the other through?
Did you pull the new cable down from the bars to the box or up from the box to the bars?
No idea if it makes a difference?
Did you need to make any adjustments after installing the new cable?
Thanks.

Online Goldstar

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: MTS 950 & 797+
  • Town / City: Norfolk
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 09:01:26 AM »
Bars to the gearbox, and did not remove the tank....

Once fitted just needed to adjust the clutch

Offline motorman

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: MTS 950
  • Town / City: San Antonio
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 08:23:25 PM »
I would also check carefully that the new aftermarket clutch lever is not binding/rubbing/abraiding/pinching the new cable in any way.  I bought a new set of 'cool' aftermarket levers for my Honda VFR and it did NOT work the same. 

Offline Ian_H

• MTS 950 Member
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2020, 03:39:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by neilb [+]
Honestly, I cant believe that you could screw up a cable that much in a lever swap........unless you were over-zealous with the wire cutters somewhere along the line. That cable must have been faulty from new. Mine has done over 40000 miles and still has 7 strands attached  :005:

So I didn't trust myself and got a mechanic to pick the bike up on Monday. He just completed the clutch cable replacement today and said he could see no reason for the levers I put on to be the issue.
No chaffing or rubbing - were his own words.
I'll be keeping a close eye on it obviously to check for premature wear.