Multistrada 950

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Confession.....  (Read 1879 times)

Offline bmw_al

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: MTS 950 - Red
  • Town / City: Crowborough
Re: Confession.....
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2020, 10:03:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Pegasus [+]
So i too ride with the misses behind me and whilst opening the old 950 girl up Birdlip Hill (steep hill out of Gloucester) I did feel it was having a little struggle at the higher end. But my first thought was going to get a 1260. bmw_al, why didn't you consider the 1260? Sure, the BMW is a beast, but the Multistrada is work of Italian art every time you open the garage.

I don't need 160hp, and the engine in the 1260 is very lumpy at low speed in traffic, given it's huge pistons.  I think, along with others that the 950 is the sweet spot for the MTS range.  The R1200 is fine for me with more torque (125nM) and with it's low centre of gravity, sweet handling too.

Offline bmw_al

• MTS 950 Pro
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2020, 10:04:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by Daveontheedge [+]
Welcome to the dark side bmw_al! :008:

Welcome as you are there already??!

Offline bmw_al

• MTS 950 Pro
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2020, 10:06:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by BabyD [+]
:435: Why is everybody looking at me  :164:

Guilty as charged Mr TobyOne?  Explain yourself.... :005:

Online BabyD

• MTS 950 Master
  • Bike: Multi 1260s
  • Town / City: Buckinghamshire
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2020, 02:44:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by bmw_al [+]
Guilty as charged Mr TobyOne?  Explain yourself.... :005:

I cannot confirm or deny as that would Be self incrimination, all I will say is if you know the right people most things are possible  :038:
If I had a second brain cell it would be so lonely......

Offline bmw_al

• MTS 950 Pro
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2020, 12:26:22 PM »
Sounds like a line from the Godfather......

Offline Stavross

• MTS 950 Member
  • Bike: Mts 950
  • Town / City: Brierley hill
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2020, 06:34:31 PM »
I had two water cooled gs s got to say they were superb they were also te models Id hit into a habit of changing every two years I sure surprised a lot of sports bike riders on them 😈😈
The I had the best bike Ive ever ridden a s 1000 xr
Everything on it that the gs had Id recommend it to any loon who loves to go very fast in comfort and contrary to all the sh#t about vibrations it was awesome
Finances made me have to get a cheaper kawaski which Ive put 5000 miles on but its time for me get out of the pcp trap and actually own a bike
Im picking up a lovely 68 plate ms on Saturday the week cant go quick enough Ive not been so excited about getting a bike for ages and its not even brand new well almost only done 1100 miles 👍👍

Offline bmw_al

• MTS 950 Pro
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2020, 05:18:29 PM »
Can you believe it - you have to pay 12 a year to join the UK BMW GS forum  :232: I wouldn't mind but there seem to be more arguments than anything else! 500+ members on line at the time I checked though...... 

Offline bmw_al

• MTS 950 Pro
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2020, 05:39:43 PM »
So a few comments on life on a 2017 R1200GS since selling my 2018 Mutley 950 a few weeks back.  Firstly, it's not as "scalded cat" quick (as iakWhiskey said), which I put down to the shaft drive vs chain.  It's far from slow but figures I found confirm its not as quick over the standing quarter mile, which bears out my own experience.  We'd be talking 0.45s quarter mile kind of difference.  I'm guessing  0 - 60 could be the best part of a second down? In gear acceleration seems better than the Mutley, probably down to more torque from the 'ol thumper being available.  Ride stability is brilliant - whether solo or two up its rarely ruffled just taking everything in its stride.   Brakes are better too - more bite and stopping power.  Cornering is a big score - the ease of tip in and switching side to side and and how quickly and low you can turn makes me grin every time.  Also slow speed running in traffic (smooth) and second gear slow turns (T junctions etc) no problem at all.  Also low speed slow moving stability is very good.  Some buffeting off the screen, so that is my next purchase.  All up, as always, its not night and day, but I am stil pleased with my purchase.  However, more GS owners seem to be moving to Ducati than the other way around?  :164:

Offline Multi950

• MTS 950 Member
  • Bike: Multistrada 950
  • Town / City: Alkmaar
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2020, 07:18:21 PM »
Congrats with your choice bmw_al....I have a neighbor who owns one (2016 model) and since I have the 950 MTS he's thinking of switching to Ducati  :001:
I think after a few evening rides more he will be totally convinced, but then still has to sell it to the missus... :038:

That said, I find it hard to believe that the brakes on the BMW are better than on the MTS, from my own experience and from what I learned from all kind of tests. The combination Brembo and Ducati are world famous for their co-operation as from the first sketch of a new design motorcycle. In fact, they have that co-op from the very beginning. Also maintenance costs are higher than that of Ducati nowadays.
Hope you will not encounter all the various complaints (with even broken gear wheels on the shaft drive) the GS models have or had through last 8-10 years.

Wish you will have lots of fun and save trips on the Bavarian...

krgds, Sybe

Offline Lambert

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: Multistrada
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2020, 09:06:38 PM »
I had one of the early LC GS late 2013, loved it but in the time I had it the engine was replaced along with the rear drive, rear shock, windscreen due to cracking and a complete new exhaust system. Fortunately all under warranty which I have to add the dealer was superb and no arguments from the BMW mothership but once warranty was up it had to go. It was a shame as probably up there as one of the nicest bikes Ive ever ridden.