Multistrada 950

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Confession.....  (Read 1880 times)

Offline bmw_al

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: MTS 950 - Red
  • Town / City: Crowborough
Re: Confession.....
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2020, 08:05:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Multi950 [+]
Congrats with your choice bmw_al....I have a neighbor who owns one (2016 model) and since I have the 950 MTS he's thinking of switching to Ducati  :001:
I think after a few evening rides more he will be totally convinced, but then still has to sell it to the missus... :038:

That said, I find it hard to believe that the brakes on the BMW are better than on the MTS, from my own experience and from what I learned from all kind of tests. The combination Brembo and Ducati are world famous for their co-operation as from the first sketch of a new design motorcycle. In fact, they have that co-op from the very beginning. Also maintenance costs are higher than that of Ducati nowadays.
Hope you will not encounter all the various complaints (with even broken gear wheels on the shaft drive) the GS models have or had through last 8-10 years.

Wish you will have lots of fun and save trips on the Bavarian...

krgds, Sybe

Hi Sybe - enjoyed your post above....each to their own.  All I know is that if I didn't have an R1200/1250GS, I would have an MTS 950 or 950S - period.  Great bike, although in my case, my wife loves the GS - much prefers it to the MTS.  I'll be interested to hear which way your neighbour jumps...All makes have their bad/unlucky models where more goes wrong than you would expect, but as you say I hope not to suffer major issues.  It does seem as though rear suspension and driveshaft issues are more common than some would have you believe - I'm just going to make sure mine is always in warranty!

Offline bmw_al

• MTS 950 Pro
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2020, 08:07:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Lambert [+]
I had one of the early LC GS late 2013, loved it but in the time I had it the engine was replaced along with the rear drive, rear shock, windscreen due to cracking and a complete new exhaust system. Fortunately all under warranty which I have to add the dealer was superb and no arguments from the BMW mothership but once warranty was up it had to go. It was a shame as probably up there as one of the nicest bikes Ive ever ridden.

Gulp......erm....well thats about everything other than the forks/telever and the frame!  So when my two year warranty is up I'd best pay for another one......So what went wrong with the rear drive?  Seems rear shock and driveshaft/pinion issues are more common than some would admit....

Offline Lambert

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: Multistrada
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2020, 09:42:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by bmw_al [+]
Gulp......erm....well thats about everything other than the forks/telever and the frame!  So when my two year warranty is up I'd best pay for another one......So what went wrong with the rear drive?  Seems rear shock and driveshaft/pinion issues are more common than some would admit....

Failed due to corrosion so I was told (I was passed caring at that point). I did feel like a beta tester for them as it was the first year of the LC but never an argument about any warranty claim. Fantastic bike though, usually slated by those that havent ridden one.
Good luck with yours, I am sure things have improved. Just keep up the warranty.  :001:

« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 09:44:51 PM by Lambert »

Offline bmw_al

• MTS 950 Pro
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2020, 09:49:47 PM »
Thanks for that - I wonder if that was the splines on the rear drive as I did wonder why there are so many Youtube videos about greasing the rear splines with Moly....including some at only two years old that were surprisingly corroded.  If that was stuck, the rear wheel suspension travel would put a lot of strain on the driveshaft and bevel gear.  Thanks for the tip! Agreed, much maligned (I tried to avoid due to popularity for the most part), but most folks, including myself, tend to be smitten after a short test ride!  Daft when you think about it, but perception is a powerful thing.

Offline Lambert

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: Multistrada
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2020, 10:17:17 PM »
From what I understand BMW were under the impression initially they were sealed for life units. It seems it hasnt quite worked out that way as like you looking at forums, YouTube etc that it appears dropping the rear end and checking / regreasing is the way to go.
Id certainly have another, currently running the gauntlet with a 950S. Glutton for punishment.  :001:

Offline bmw_al

• MTS 950 Pro
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2020, 09:55:19 PM »
I understand, must be terrible..... :008: