Multistrada 950

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Screen upgrades  (Read 5816 times)

Offline David

• MTS 950 Junior
  • Town / City: Edinburgh
Screen upgrades
« on: May 21, 2017, 12:37:44 PM »
I love the bike, but the wind noise (and a bit of buffeting) is starting to annoy me.  My ears were ringing after rides, so I started wearing ear plugs, which helps a bit.  I noticed how much quieter it is in clean air if I stand on the foot pegs. One of the reasons I bought the bike, rather than a naked, was for a bit of weather protection bearing in mind I live in Scotland, but I'm wondering if screens are more trouble than they are worth. I'm 5ft10" and wear a Shoei GT Air helmet.

I'm considering Bose noise cancellation ear buds, but I'm not sure I want the extra faff of charging them and would prefer to try to fix the root cause.

I've read lots of forum posts from people who have tried spacers, larger screens, shorter screens and clip-on deflectors, but I'm still not sure which direction to go.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Offline Moto45

• MTS 950 Member
  • Town / City: Asheville, NC
Re: Screen upgrades
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 07:56:01 PM »
There are aftermarket wind screens that will completely eliminate buffeting, I've listed my set-up. No sport touring screen will eliminate wind noise for any helmet design. For comfort and quiet, I've found disposable foam earplugs work best but I also carry re-usable Alpine MotoSafe Ear Plugs for around town that allow you to hear traffic and still reduce wind noise by about 50%.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 08:13:37 PM by Moto45 »

Offline Murf46

• MTS 950 God
  • Town / City: newcastle upon tyne
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 08:31:04 PM »
I have same set up as moto45 and find its an improvement on the standard screen I can have my visor up at 70mph

P's  I always use ear plugs
Red or dead

Offline Darsey

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: Multi 950 white
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 08:43:45 AM »
I put an inch spacer in at the bottom of my standard screen and find it to be a simple and great job.
"ye must be born again"

Offline David

• MTS 950 Junior
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 05:53:52 PM »
@Darsey - Thanks.

Were you trying to get air behind the screen to equalise pressure / turbulence or were you trying to lower the screen by angling it more towards you?   

Also, did you buy a kit or just fabricate a spacer and buy a longer bolt? (I presume the existing bolt isn't long enough to cope with the spacer)

Offline David

• MTS 950 Junior
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 05:58:46 PM »
@Moto45 & Murf46 - Thanks for sharing your MRA Touring screen & clip-on solution. Any reason you picked this over a Puig or Givi or ... ?

Offline Moto45

• MTS 950 Member
  • Town / City: Asheville, NC
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 07:54:51 PM »
You're welcome David. I also have a Puig Racing Screen which works much better than stock but is a smaller profile than the MRA. I plan to use it on hot weather rides and it also works great with the MRA "sport" clip-on. As you may know, swapping screens is simple and quick on this bike. I think the profile of the Puig screen suits the look of the bike best but the MRA offers superior performance and is quite good even without the clip-on. Any of these options beats the clear stock screen in IMO. Another consideration would be the Puig Touring screen but I didn't care for the very tall profile. Don't forget, any 2015-17 Ducati Multistrada 1200 accessory screen will fit the 950. Good luck.

Offline Cavalieri

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: XSR900
  • Town / City: Peterborough
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 10:16:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by David [+]
I love the bike, but the wind noise (and a bit of buffeting) is starting to annoy me.  My ears were ringing after rides, so I started wearing ear plugs, which helps a bit.  I noticed how much quieter it is in clean air if I stand on the foot pegs. One of the reasons I bought the bike, rather than a naked, was for a bit of weather protection bearing in mind I live in Scotland, but I'm wondering if screens are more trouble than they are worth. I'm 5ft10" and wear a Shoei GT Air helmet.

I'm considering Bose noise cancellation ear buds, but I'm not sure I want the extra faff of charging them and would prefer to try to fix the root cause.

I've read lots of forum posts from people who have tried spacers, larger screens, shorter screens and clip-on deflectors, but I'm still not sure which direction to go.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi David
Earplugs are always a good idea but will not eliminate the root cause of the problem. Choice of screen and seat height can be major factors as is your choice of helmet.
On my test ride I had a Bell Bullitt helmet with a bubble type visor - wind noise and buffeting were appalling. I now wear only a Schuberth C3 Pro on this bike, which is much more aerodynamic and has completely eliminated the problem. I'm 5' 9" using the Duc screen and currently the standard seat.

Offline Darsey

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: Multi 950 white
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 08:56:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by David [+]
@Darsey - Thanks.

Were you trying to get air behind the screen to equalise pressure / turbulence or were you trying to lower the screen by angling it more towards you?   

Also, did you buy a kit or just fabricate a spacer and buy a longer bolt? (I presume the existing bolt isn't long enough to cope with the spacer)

Yea I just fabricated a spacer (two rubber washers from cladding screws and 1/2 inch nut + on longer bolt with necessary washers to see if it works). I may look about something a bit neater but for now it is doing a great job. Try it and see.
"ye must be born again"

Offline David

• MTS 950 Junior
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 08:47:45 PM »
The MRA screen looks like it is angled down a little bit more than the standard one - do you know if there is still room for the Ducati high mount sat nav bracket underneath it?

I took the screen off my bike today and went for a ride. So much quieter and no helmet vibration. I'm wondering whether to get a pikes peak style short screen.