Multistrada 950

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 650 V Strom to 950 Multi  (Read 1436 times)

Offline DonStrada

• MTS 950 Junior
  • Town / City: Dartmouth
650 V Strom to 950 Multi
« on: August 11, 2017, 07:23:01 PM »
Just thought I'd post my impressions after trading in my first generation 650 V Strom for a  950 Multistrada in case anyone is thinking of doing something similar. I have about 900Km on the Multi now.

The first thing I noticed is that the riding position is slightly sportier, there is a little more forward cant on the multi and the bars are wider. the riding position reminded me of an FJ 09 that I had test ridden a while back but the bars are wider on the multi. Also it feels like your positioned further forward on the bike - more on top of the front wheel. I liked the riding position on the V Strom, I like the riding position on the Multi even more.

The exhaust note of the Multistrada is louder. Very satisfying to fire up. I always liked the sound of the V Strom too though and prefer bikes that are on the quieter side.

The buffeting and wind noise on the Multi is uncomfortable for me - at least for Highway driving. The buffeting and wind noise on the V strom was sorted thanks to the after market Madstad  bracket and Givi screen. The buffeting and wind noise on the FJ 09 that I had tested earlier was excessively turbulent, really uncomfortable. I have a replacement MRA Vario screen on order for the multi - I am just over 6 feet tall and need the wind blast directed a little higher for highway use.

The overall quality of finish and parts is higher on the Ducati -  as you would expect given the price difference. It still needs to be said though. The quality of the seat, mirrors, handlebars - it definitely feels like a much more premium motorcycle.

The nimbleness, steering,  balance and agility of the Multistrada is on another level compared to the V strom 650. The multi feels lighter ( even though I don't believe it is) the second it starts rolling. It also maintains it's stability and direction in the presence of side winds much better than the V Strom 650.

The Multi of course has a more powerful engine and can accelerate much more rapidly. I'm not really a horsepower junkie and never found the V Strom lacking in power. I know I'm likely in a minority on that, but the truth is that the V Strom engine was engaging enough for fun riding. The V Strom engine is generally smoother except during engine braking which is more abrupt than on the Ducati. 

I was still quite fond of the V Strom when I traded it and I had owned it for 9 years. It was fun, comfortable and trouble free. I really wanted something with improved braking and suspension but with Suzuki you have to step up to the V Strom 1000 to get it. I was unable to make my scheduled test ride for Suzuki but I did make it to the Ducati test ride. The Ducati was a few more dollars than the V Strom 1000 but it appealed to me more and even though I was a little reluctant to buy Ducati because the reputation and my experience with Japanese bikes has been so good. In the end I just could not argue with the overall design and visible quality of this bike so I took the leap. 

I've really been enjoying my riding time on the multi.

Offline buzzardbilly

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Town / City: Gloucester
Re: 650 V Strom to 950 Multi
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 07:42:34 PM »
DonStrada,

Some good obrservations and I think very much in line with other comments from Forum members. The VStrom is certainly a good all rounder and nice bike but , as you say , the Duke take is up a level and I have to say the fuel consumption is great for a bike of that engine size

I would be very interested to hear your feedback on the MRA Vario screen once you have it fitted  as I am considering one myself - others have said it virtually eliminates that buffet however I do like the look of the bike with the stick screen

...and lucky you for living in a  country with such vast riding opportunity

Offline Murf46

• MTS 950 God
  • Town / City: newcastle upon tyne
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 08:18:45 PM »
Welcome to the forum
Red or dead

Online thenozzle

• MTS 950 Master
  • Town / City: Cheshunt / Herts
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 08:23:39 PM »
Is he a new member Murf46 ,if he is  :400:

Offline DonStrada

• MTS 950 Junior
  • Town / City: Dartmouth
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 09:00:30 PM »
Thanks for the welcome folks!

Hey Buzzarbilly I did put a few a washer behind the stock screws of the stock screen. It's a fairly thick small washer - about as far as you can go with the length of the stock screws - it's just enough so that the screen does not sit flush to the fairing and would allow a little air underneath it. It did seem to smooth out the airflow. I still need the airflow directed a little higher so I'm looking forward to trying the MRA Vario touring screen but perhaps the washer trick will work for you and you could keep the stock screen and maintain the good looks of the bike.

Offline Darsey

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: Multi 950 white
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 09:11:25 PM »
I put an inch spacer in at the bottom bolt (changed the bolt to a longer one) with the standard screen and I doubt I could make it any better. For me it is fantastic mod and costs virtually nothing and is certainly worth a try .
"ye must be born again"

Offline buzzardbilly

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Town / City: Gloucester
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 09:17:51 PM »
Cheers - thanks Darsey - I did note that mod from a previous post  on the forum  - will certainly give that a try as I am not that tall so don't need extra height on a screen

Offline Darsey

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: Multi 950 white
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 09:35:13 PM »
what I did on mine is that I had some rubber washers that I took of bolts for holding down roof cladding. I had a longer bolt and also an larger nut to make the space. the washers stopped any harm from being done to the sreen etc. Great job
"ye must be born again"