Multistrada 950

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Torque-ing about tyre change  (Read 1599 times)

Offline Conman

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Town / City: Stockport
Torque-ing about tyre change
« on: March 22, 2018, 06:13:58 PM »
I think we've all had a grumble about how crap the manual is for the basic maintenance tasks we as bikers need to do. The old "take your bike to a dealer when the chain needs adjusting" is a joke  :013: When it comes to changing tyres (tires for our American chums) or brake pads, we're even more in the dark. And you can bet your local independent tyre supplier isn't going to check or loose sleep over what settings he uses (I think they go off how white their knuckles go or how far the veins on their neck stick out for really tight nuts)  :164:

Anyway while I was at my local neighbourhood Ducati dealer I asked them for the torque settings I would need when I come to change the tyres. It is with some trepidation I present them here because, for example, for the rear axle nut we have had a right collection of numbers. I personally have had two different values both backed up by other members on the forum  :003: I've double checked with them and the swear these are the right values and any previous values might be old ones that have been revised  :084:

Rear axle nut    180Nm  (133lbft)        (previously 156Nm / 115lbft)

Front axle         63Nm   (46.5lbft)

Front axle pinch bolts     19Nm   (14lbft)        Do not over tighten these and - my advice- be careful there may be a tightening sequence because it's easy to get the clamp on at a slight angle and also it's better to settle the forks before finally clamping tight. I've not done it yet so I don't know for sure

Caliper bolts   45Nm   (33lbft)

If/when anyone gets to do this please let us know how you got on and what torque settings you were given/used    :028:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 06:15:58 PM by Conman »
If I knew what I was doing I would probably stop doing it.

Offline neilb

• MTS 950 Master
  • Bike: MTS 950 Red
  • Town / City: Billericay, Essex
Re: Torque-ing about tyre change
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 07:47:38 PM »
I concur with 180Nm rear axle nut......that was given me by my dealer last week. If I remember, I'll ask for the other torque values when I see them next week.

Offline neilb

• MTS 950 Master
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 01:56:47 PM »
Following a very cold and wet ride to my dealer today, I have been given the following torque figures:

Front axle 47Nm
Front pinch bolts 19Nm
Calliper bolts 43Nm

So, agreement, thereabouts, on two of these but a big difference on the front axle figure......47 or 63Nm. I'm sure the answer lies somewhere out there in the universe!

Offline Conman

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Town / City: Stockport
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 11:21:23 AM »
Interesting, Neil, and confusing. I thought I'd compare the settings with my previous bike (F800gs) which looks to have a very similar lower front fork but the axle nut torque is much lower. Internally the wheel possibly has a different bearing set-up.

I've just 'phoned Ducati Manchester to double check and they're adamant the manual says 63Nm and repeated that some values may have been revised as Ducati gain more data on what is a relatively new model bike. The axle nut torque itself is not massively important (except at either extremes of wobbling loose and stripped threads) because the axle pinch bolts are there and we are in agreement about their setting which is important. However the axle nut torque will set the pre-load on the wheel bearings, so don't go nuts (  :015: ) on it.
If I knew what I was doing I would probably stop doing it.

Offline neilb

• MTS 950 Master
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 11:30:46 AM »
I'm thinking that maybe my dealer has inadvertently given me the lb-ft figure for the front axle and not the Nm, which would lead to agreement. I check with them.

Offline Murf46

• MTS 950 God
  • Town / City: newcastle upon tyne
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 12:52:08 PM »
I just used the white method

Tighten the nut till your knuckles go white.. Simples  :033:
Red or dead

Offline Goldstar

• MTS 950 Member
  • Bike: MTS 950 & 797+
  • Town / City: Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 05:59:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Murf46 [+]
I just used the white method

Tighten the nut till your knuckles go white.. Simples  :033:

But don't forget to come back a quarter of a turn, just for accuracies sake... :012: :012: :012: :012:

Offline Murf46

• MTS 950 God
  • Town / City: newcastle upon tyne
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 06:23:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Goldstar [+]

But don't forget to come back a quarter of a turn, just for accuracies sake... :012: :012: :012: :012:

Obviously a quarter turn back I thought  every one  new that  :082:
Red or dead

Offline Goldstar

• MTS 950 Member
  • Bike: MTS 950 & 797+
  • Town / City: Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 06:36:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Murf46 [+]
Obviously a quarter turn back I thought  every one  new that  :082:
Well perhaps not all are as well versed in mechanical matters like what you is Murf.... :084: :084: :084: :084:

Offline lather

• MTS 950 Member
  • Bike: Multistrada 950
  • Town / City: St. Francisville
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 02:24:24 PM »
I have just finished mounting new tires. I bought a service manual for a 2016 1200 enduro which has the two sided swingarm like the 950 and the front forks appear the same. It lists torque for Front axle 47Nm, Calliper bolts 43Nm and 63 Nm for Rear axle nut. When I loosened the axle nuts for removal they both seemed to be much less tight than those torque values. The manual also specifies molydenum disulphide grease on axels and spacers and caliper bolts threads and underheads. I have not seen this lubricant used on these parts on any of the many Japanese bikes I have owned or even the Ducati 1098. The Japanese always specify waterproof grease on axles. The Moly grease is for extreme pressure and I do not know if it is waterproof. Anyway I noticed some corrosion on the front axle and I used some waterproof grease on those areas after cleaning off the corrosion. Another procedure I have never seen before is the manual calls for holding the front brake lever tight while tightening the caliper bolts. This seems like a good idea as it should center the axle.
We're lost but we're making great time!