Multistrada 950

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: MS950 wannabe  (Read 1416 times)

Offline ZiggyCol

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: MTS 950 (Red)
  • Town / City: Harrogate
MS950 wannabe
« on: March 28, 2018, 09:13:10 AM »
Hi - I'm just lurking currently, accumulating MS950 info. I currently run a Yam Fazer1000 that is due retirement, the same as me later on this year. It's served me very well as an all round bike but several winters' commuting has taken its toll so I'm looking for a replacement that will live a much easier life - hopefully just leisure riding and some touring. I've more or less settled on an MS (though I might also want a look at the new Tiger 800). Initially the sophistication of the 1200S appealed but not all feedback has been good. The 950 seems to do almost as good a job with a lot less to go wrong so I'm more inclined in this direction now. Reading all your posts with great interest and anticipation.
Life is not a rehearsal . . .

Offline Murf46

• MTS 950 God
  • Town / City: newcastle upon tyne
Re: MS950 wannabe
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 09:38:00 AM »
There are a few guys on this forum who came from tiger 800s none of them  have regretted the move. I think the biggest change for you will be from a four cylinder to a twin.

If you do take the plunge you won't regret it

Ps get a red one  :305:
Red or dead

Offline Darsey

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: Multi 950 white
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 10:11:54 AM »
i had a Tiger 800 xc and though that it was also a great bike. It is very similar riding position to the mts 950, but the wind noise was horrendous and had very linear power. In my opinion the duc is a far superior machine and with a space in the bottom of the screen I can ride up to high speeds with the visor opened and the low down torque is really good, and for me there is something special about riding a twin although that is not everyone's opinion.
"ye must be born again"

Offline thenozzle

• MTS 950 Master
  • Town / City: Cheshunt / Herts
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 10:38:47 AM »
Hi and :400:, I had an 800 tiger XRX and although the tiger is a great bike it doesn't have the same experience and excitement that the 950 has.
I do advise you to try out both bikes though and as Murf46 red is best and fastest  :008:

Offline ZiggyCol

• MTS 950 Pro
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 11:26:08 AM »
 :152:  Thanks for your warm welcome. Mmmm white or red - now there's a question I perhaps shouldn't ask  :005:

Offline Murf46

• MTS 950 God
  • Town / City: newcastle upon tyne
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 12:35:05 PM »
Wait till a new colour comes out.
You will see the reds and whits coming together to complain about the new colour not been a ducati colour  :232:
Red or dead

Offline BrownTrousers

• MTS 950 Member
  • Bike: 2018 MTS 950 RED
  • Town / City: Cambridge
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 01:14:41 PM »
I recently changed from a 2016 Tiger 800 XR.

I liked the triumph it was very comfy, reliable and practical and decent value for money, but i never quite fell in love with it.

In the end i went with my heart and sacrificed a little bit of the above for the additional character and performance of the Ducati. I certainly don't regret it.

The engines are very different, and wind protection can be a big factor in how much you enjoy each bike (Triumph is notoriously bad for a lot of people)  so well worth test-riding both.

Cheers,
Previous bikes: Tiger 800XR & CRB500R
Bikers make great organ donors - sign up here

Offline Conman

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Town / City: Stockport
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 01:22:53 PM »
 :400:
I've done quite a few miles on the MTS1200 and I always come back to the same conclusion; for me it doesn't do anything the 950 doesn't do but costs a lot more and is a lot bulkier. I might consider the 1200 if I was riding 2-up a lot though.
If I knew what I was doing I would probably stop doing it.

Offline ZiggyCol

• MTS 950 Pro
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 01:56:16 PM »
As stated, I originally fancied the 1200S initially (esp. before the 950 was announced) but lots of stories re unreliability have warned me off. Cost is also a consideration of course and the sheer complexity of all the electronics is a concern. The arrival of the simpler but just as attractive 950 has definitely turned me in this direction and a 1200 is no longer a consideration. Interesting that you found the 1200 a lot bulkier. I was under the impression there wasn't much in it. I'm not the tallest so that's another advantage of the 950.
I have to hold myself back for a while because I don't retire until August so earliest to consider a bike change is after then. But will enjoy listening to you guys in the meantime and glean all the info i can.

Online buzzardbilly

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Town / City: Gloucester
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 03:46:52 PM »
ZiggyCol, welcome -  the 950 is a good retirement toy as many on this Forum can testify and is a super all rounder . Whilst the seat height is 1cm lower on the 950 than the 1200 the overall height of the 950 is higher at the front  (by 6 cms I think to top of the screen) - which I guess is a result of accomodating a 19" front instead of the 17" .

I am just a tad under 5'8" and the bike presents no problems with the standard seat and personally I do not feel it worth considering the lower seat option

Tick off those days until August - not long to go