Multistrada 950

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Route planning  (Read 2433 times)

Offline tozes

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: Solex
  • Town / City: Prague
Route planning
« on: April 10, 2018, 09:19:51 PM »
What tools do you guys use to plan your routes?
I'm new to touring and figured that with so many experienced riders in the forum, someone must know some good tricks.
neilb already shared some (thanks!), but let's hear what else is out there

Offline thenozzle

• MTS 950 Master
  • Town / City: Cheshunt / Herts
Re: Route planning
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 10:22:51 PM »
Hi tozes ,
See if this one  helps you https://www.motogoloco.com  .
but I use one that is called tyre that comes free  with my tomtom satnav .

Offline Murf46

• MTS 950 God
  • Town / City: newcastle upon tyne
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 10:27:16 PM »
I normally have destinations in mind I then
use a site called best biking roads.

http://www.bestbikingroads.com

You can search for routes I then use them to plot routes on garmin basecamp then transfer them to my garmin sat nav.

Ps you can down load the BBR app works faster than the Web site.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 10:35:45 PM by Murf46 »
Red or dead

Offline neilb

• MTS 950 Master
  • Bike: MTS 950 Red
  • Town / City: Billericay, Essex
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 10:43:05 PM »
BestBikingRoads.....an excellent source of planning ideas that I had forgotten about. So, thanks for the memory jog. Murf

Offline Murf46

• MTS 950 God
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 10:54:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by neilb [+]
BestBikingRoads.....an excellent source of planning ideas that I had forgotten about. So, thanks for the memory jog. Murf

:028:

Where ever you think you will go someone has already (been and done that)

I often stitch routes together to get to my desired destination.
Red or dead

Offline Conman

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Town / City: Stockport
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 09:23:37 AM »
Another  :028: for Best Biking Roads.

I have a Garmin so use Garmin Basecamp to plot the routes (download for free). A lot of people moan about it and it sure is quirky and quite slow an clunky if you don't have much RAM but once you get in the swing of things I think it's good. I used to plot everything at home and try to envision every outcome and plan for it so I could just pick a pre-planned route when away, because plotting a route direct on the SatNav is murder. Last year we had a big change of plans while away so I sat down in a restaurant to plot a new route. In the end they were chasing us out because they wanted to close up and I still hadn't finished  :015:

So when I got home I bought a 10" Lenovo tablet/laptop which takes up next to no room, downloaded Basecamp on to it and plot routes with no trouble wherever I need to. Because the Lenovo has nothing else running it works much quicker too - marvelous  :018: As a bonus I can keep all my photos backed up on it too, rather than just relying on memory cards in the cameras.

I used to religiously buy maps as a back up but I never seem to use them now since Google Maps and Google Earth are so readily accesible.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 09:25:32 AM by Conman »
Anything more than two wheels is unnecessary.

Offline Viobas

• MTS 950 Member
  • Bike: MULTI 950
  • Town / City: Paris
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 12:16:44 PM »
I use a tomtom rider 450. I plan ahead looking at paper maps to find interesting roads and then simply use mydrive website to create a route which gets automatically uploaded on the GPS using internet connection from my phone via Bluetooth.

It's also super easy to create a route on my phone with the mydrive app and to send it to the GPS, useful if you need to modify your route when you're out riding.

Offline lather

• MTS 950 Member
  • Bike: Multistrada 950
  • Town / City: St. Francisville
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 04:17:28 PM »
My route planning is almost exactly as Conman describes except I still use the obsolete Garmin Mapsource with my Zumo. I have Basecamp but can't seem to get used to it because Mapsource still works fine for me so I am too lazy to learn Basecamps quirks. On trips I bring a Microsoft Surface 3.
We're lost but we're making great time!

Offline tozes

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: Solex
  • Town / City: Prague
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 07:42:42 PM »
Thanks all for the great tips. I started exploring motogoloco and looks good so far. I don't have a dedicated bike gps so I'm going to rely on the phone for now but looks like having one has also the perk of good planning tools.
Too bad they're so damn expensive, I have a hard time to invest so much on a piece of tech that's so common these days. Just because they target the motorbike niche with waterproofing they really stretch it.

Offline Murf46

• MTS 950 God
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 08:52:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by tozes [+]
Thanks all for the great tips. I started exploring motogoloco and looks good so far. I don't have a dedicated bike gps so I'm going to rely on the phone for now but looks like having one has also the perk of good planning tools.
Too bad they're so damn expensive, I have a hard time to invest so much on a piece of tech that's so common these days. Just because they target the motorbike niche with waterproofing they really stretch it.

Buy a cheep car sat nav one  put it  in a plastic bag I did that trick for years  :046:
Red or dead