Multistrada 950

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Luggage - advice required  (Read 1158 times)

Offline resovoir

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Town / City: Near Portsmouth
Luggage - advice required
« on: April 24, 2018, 06:39:15 PM »
Hi
I am not a great fan of panniers but accept they have their place.
 I enjoy the benefits of a top box when doings a days ride for the convenience of not having to lug the helmet around or in the cafe. The weight limit is low on a top box so limited use for touring.

So what to  use when touring.  I have used the Ventura system, but the permanently fixed bars on which you insert the upright bars to fit the pack on look odd I would imagine.
Can I ask if the panniers stick out much or does anyone have other ideas I could investigate. Soft panniers I cannot find suitable ones on the web and the metal they fix to would spoil the look. I have Kriega which is an option but not as good as panniers security wise. Any advice appreciated
Cheers
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 06:44:00 PM by resovoir »

Offline buzzardbilly

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Town / City: Gloucester
Re: Luggage - advice required
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 07:15:25 PM »
Resovoir, I guess this topic of luggage carrying is very much down to personal opinions but for me the Ducati stock panniers are super  - the left side one is big enough to take a Lid, they are fairly waterproof (not totally I understand) , they suit the bike nicely, they are a doddle to remove and fit  and they are no wider than the bars (so if you fit the front bit of the bike in a gap the back bit will follow !) . For me I think a top box spoils the line of this bike - so its a roll bag if I need extra and I think that the square aluminium boxes are more suited to the rugged looks of a GS than a Ducati

Online thenozzle

• MTS 950 Master
  • Town / City: Cheshunt / Herts
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 07:52:26 PM »
+1on buzzardbilly post  :028:

Offline Murf46

• MTS 950 God
  • Town / City: newcastle upon tyne
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 07:54:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by thenozzle [+]
+1on buzzardbilly post  :028:

Exactly my thoughts
Red or dead

Offline resovoir

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Town / City: Near Portsmouth
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 08:29:47 PM »
A new perspective. I was told the panniers would not take a lid. I presume you mean a full face helmet?
Cheers

Online thenozzle

• MTS 950 Master
  • Town / City: Cheshunt / Herts
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 08:31:23 PM »
It does take a full face helmet as it shows in this video

« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 08:33:41 PM by thenozzle »

Online neilb

• MTS 950 Master
  • Bike: MTS 950 Red
  • Town / City: Billericay, Essex
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 08:36:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by resovoir [+]
A new perspective. I was told the panniers would not take a lid. I presume you mean a full face helmet?
Cheers

My flip lid with Scala comms fitted goes into the left pannier, no problem

Offline Murf46

• MTS 950 God
  • Town / City: newcastle upon tyne
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 08:40:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by thenozzle [+]
It does take a full face helmet as it shows in this video

Plus one
Red or dead

Offline BrownTrousers

• MTS 950 Member
  • Bike: 2018 MTS 950 RED
  • Town / City: Cambridge
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 04:49:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by buzzardbilly [+]
Resovoir, I guess this topic of luggage carrying is very much down to personal opinions but for me the Ducati stock panniers are super  - the left side one is big enough to take a Lid, they are fairly waterproof (not totally I understand) , they suit the bike nicely, they are a doddle to remove and fit  and they are no wider than the bars (so if you fit the front bit of the bike in a gap the back bit will follow !) . For me I think a top box spoils the line of this bike - so its a roll bag if I need extra and I think that the square aluminium boxes are more suited to the rugged looks of a GS than a Ducati

Agree 100% with this.

And yes, my shark full face helmet fits in the left pannier no worries.
Previous bikes: Tiger 800XR & CRB500R
Bikers make great organ donors - sign up here

Offline Conman

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Town / City: Stockport
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 08:42:05 AM »
 :0461:
Ducati panniers are very good. I've been through some atrocious weather and they've not leaked. The first time I used them I thought they did leak but I'm thinking it was something I did because they've been bone dry since. I still wrap my delicates in a bin bag just to be absolutely sure (old habits) but it's not been necessary. They can be a struggle to fit but once they're on I just forget about them and ride normally.

If you do go down the soft pannier route (I prefer soft panniers myself) you will need a frame to support them. When I got my bike there wasn't anything available but I think there are a couple now. I've used Enduristan panniers and they were excellent. My son still uses them.

I really don't like top boxes  :004: but strap stuff to the seat using a cargo net and the hooks under the wheel arch.
If I knew what I was doing I would probably stop doing it.