Multistrada 950

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Misty Headlights  (Read 1843 times)

Offline Dave G

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: MTS950
  • Town / City: Nantwich
Misty Headlights
« on: May 01, 2018, 02:23:06 PM »
Has anyone else got this issue?

During and following cold or wet weather and when you stop and park up the headlights mist over inside the glass. I've only just noticed this about 2 weeks ago.
This surely is not right so I booked it in with my dealer and on Saturday just gone they took photos and said they will report it to Ducati.

In the meantime I emailed Ducati customer Service yesterday to also log the issue and to my surprise they called me today on my mobile from Bologna.

They said they assure me they are looking into this issue and will report back what they will do to rectify this.

My dealer at first said " it's standard" but no way am I excepting that!!

I'll keep you updated with action taken.

Offline neilb

• MTS 950 Master
  • Bike: MTS 950 Red
  • Town / City: Billericay, Essex
Re: Misty Headlights
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 03:14:36 PM »
Wow, a personal call....I hope you didnt go in to shock!

My lights are fine but I recall seeing another member mention the misting problem in another thread.

Edit: Dave, it was one of your posts that mentioned it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 03:32:54 PM by neilb »

Offline Conman

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Town / City: Stockport
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 03:39:50 PM »
How did you get hold of Ducati direct? WHenever I tried I always got sent straight back to my local dealer.

I've not noticed any headlamp misting. It's not something I would expect to happen.
Anything more than two wheels is unnecessary.

Offline Dave G

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: MTS950
  • Town / City: Nantwich
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 07:57:28 PM »
I wasn't going to bother reporting it but then I thought cars don't do it so why put up with it on my pride and joy.

I pulled up at Ducati Manachester on Saturday and an old work colleague I haven't seen for years pulled up behind me and he had a 950 too in Red.
After a quick chat I noticed his was doing it too so it must be an issue and not individual.

I googled Ducati customer Service and found this email address contact_us@ducati.com

I was impressed they have contacted me today so soon. The number that shown on my mobile was +390510938822

Fingers crossed it can get resolved and may be recall instruction for others??

Have a look at the photos and make your own opinion if "it is standard" they should be like that?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 08:01:48 PM by Dave G »

Offline Xtourer1200

• MTS 950 Member
  • Town / City: WINSFORD
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 09:12:43 PM »
Dave,
I have the same issue and Ducati are aware of it, it states in the manual to switch to high beam for a bit to burn it off. Its always been an issue with the 1200dvt.

Offline tozes

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: Solex
  • Town / City: Prague
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 09:09:25 AM »
I never noticed this but will keep an eye on it and report

Offline Ferret

• MTS 950 Member
  • Town / City: Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 07:11:25 PM »
I had the same issue with my Aprilia and they swapped the unit out ,but it still happens from time to time .It appears to be a very common issue across all brands .

Offline Conman

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Town / City: Stockport
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 08:23:11 AM »
I've been keeping an eye on my headlights and blow me, under all the crud if they haven't gone and steamed up, mainly on the full beam lights but also a bit in the corner of the offside riding lights. A minute or so on full beam and they were clear, the riding light was well in the corner so didn't affect anything but it wasn't clearing much.
Anything more than two wheels is unnecessary.

Offline briantheb

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: M/S 950 Touring
  • Town / City: Stirling
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 12:00:01 PM »
Had this issue and raised it with the technician at 1st service.
A sealed unit so only way moisture should get in is via the seals behind the bulbs,
Try taking them off and leave for moisture to escape (or you could used something to help dry them out). Refit rubber covers/seals.  You may want to use some sort of barrier when replacing - this all sounded like a bit of guesswork but as I havent had the problem reappear since getting the bike back out I havent attempted any of this so cant comment of effectivesness !
Full of enthusiasm - in all the wrong places

Offline ducati_al

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: MTS 950 - Red
  • Town / City: Crowborough
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 08:59:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by briantheb [+]
Had this issue and raised it with the technician at 1st service.
A sealed unit so only way moisture should get in is via the seals behind the bulbs,
Try taking them off and leave for moisture to escape (or you could used something to help dry them out). Refit rubber covers/seals.  You may want to use some sort of barrier when replacing - this all sounded like a bit of guesswork but as I havent had the problem reappear since getting the bike back out I havent attempted any of this so cant comment of effectivesness !

That's not entirely true as there will be a level of moisture held in the air inside a sealed unit (it's not a vacuum obviously).  All you then need is hot or cool air around the unit to cause misting within the headlight.  I wouldn't worry about it unless it turns into a fishbowl.....