Multistrada 950

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Head Bearings  (Read 586 times)

Offline Conman

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Town / City: Stockport
Head Bearings
« on: June 05, 2018, 11:02:46 AM »
I've finally had my steering head bearings replaced under warranty after they were found to be notchy during the bikes recent 9000 mile service. And what a difference! Immediately the bars were like they were floating they felt so loose. Also I had noticed I was drifting wide in corners, to the extent that I've bought new tyres, but this has gone now. It's back to the sharp handling the bike is capable of, so I've not even bothered fitting the new tyres yet  :156:

I was a bit concerned that it was something I was doing that has caused the bearings to fail but, without wanting to say too much, the mechanic said that mine were by no means the first head bearings they've done on this model. I'm hoping it turns out to be a batch of bad head bearings or an assembly issue they've put right in the factory. The alternative is that it becomes a stock fault on the bike, like BMW F800GS which goes through head bearings every 11,000 miles like clockwork  :082:

I recommend keeping an eye on the steering and specifically asking for the bearings to be checked at the 9000 mile service  :305:
Anything more than two wheels is unnecessary.

Offline neilb

• MTS 950 Master
  • Bike: MTS 950 Red
  • Town / City: Billericay, Essex
Re: Head Bearings
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 01:29:24 PM »
Thanks for the info, Conman. My steering is fine and no issues at its 9000 mile service yesterday. Glad youre sorted out now and can get back to really enjoying the bike.