Multistrada 950

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: MTS950 Red Amsterdam - First impressions  (Read 1808 times)

Offline Requiem84

• MTS 950 Junior
  • Town / City: Amsterdam
MTS950 Red Amsterdam - First impressions
« on: February 28, 2017, 10:05:34 AM »
I ordered mine early January. Picked it up last Saturday and went for 1 longer ride and 1 shorter ride. I'm located close to city center Amsterdam, so my riding always involves a part of Urban riding to get out of the city, keep that in mind when reading my comments.

I was told to keep the bike under 5.000 RPM until the first service. The dealer said that after a few 100km's, it would be ok to rev it a bit higher when the engine is properly warmed up. A bit hard to judge the proper engine power now.

Nevertheless, I was just a little bit cheeky and revved it up to 6k already. Engine is nice, smooth, tractable. The push is not overwhelming, but more than enough to get you into trouble. When entering the highway, I didn't even realize I went up to 140km/h accidentally.

On the other hand, the difference between the MTS1200 is huge. There is no 'warp speed' or intimidation. It's more the kind of acceleration that makes you smile, but doesn't make you chuckle, if you know what I mean. All in all, I think I wouldn't have mind a 20/25 HP extra, to put it just between the MTS1200 and the Hyperstrada.

The front end dive which was reported in the journo test is indeed noticeable. It's not too bad with normal riding. For more sporty riding,  I'd definitely jack up the front damping/spring. All in al the suspension is quite comfortable, but not too wallowy. I like it.

The bike is extremely nimble, more so than I thought. I like how easy you can make change of directions etc. It's a peach in this sense. Much better than let's say the KTM Super Duke GT I tried. Not sure about cornering stability yet, haven't properly tested this.

Fit and finnish is excellent. Attention to detail is very high, more so than on the KTM and Bmw's I sampled previously.

All in all, my first impressions are excellent. I forgot to mention that it absolutely looks a stunner in the flesh. I was constantly stared at in Amsterdam, lookswise it's even better than the 1200 imo..! Only potential gripe I have is that the engine might bore me at some stage, since I kind of like an engine that is not too intimidating, but on the other hand kind of scares you just a little bit.

Further report to follow.

Offline thenozzle

• MTS 950 Master
  • Town / City: Cheshunt / Herts
Re: MTS950 Red Amsterdam - First impressions
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 10:17:12 AM »
Hi, good review and thanks for sharing.
Martin

Offline Wassers

• MTS 950 Master
  • Bike: MTS & Speed Twin
  • Town / City: Berkshire
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 02:47:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Requiem84 [+]
I ordered mine early January. Picked it up last Saturday and went for 1 longer ride and 1 shorter ride. I'm located close to city center Amsterdam, so my riding always involves a part of Urban riding to get out of the city, keep that in mind when reading my comments.

I was told to keep the bike under 5.000 RPM until the first service. The dealer said that after a few 100km's, it would be ok to rev it a bit higher when the engine is properly warmed up. A bit hard to judge the proper engine power now.

Nevertheless, I was just a little bit cheeky and revved it up to 6k already. Engine is nice, smooth, tractable. The push is not overwhelming, but more than enough to get you into trouble. When entering the highway, I didn't even realize I went up to 140km/h accidentally.

On the other hand, the difference between the MTS1200 is huge. There is no 'warp speed' or intimidation. It's more the kind of acceleration that makes you smile, but doesn't make you chuckle, if you know what I mean. All in all, I think I wouldn't have mind a 20/25 HP extra, to put it just between the MTS1200 and the Hyperstrada.

The front end dive which was reported in the journo test is indeed noticeable. It's not too bad with normal riding. For more sporty riding,  I'd definitely jack up the front damping/spring. All in al the suspension is quite comfortable, but not too wallowy. I like it.

The bike is extremely nimble, more so than I thought. I like how easy you can make change of directions etc. It's a peach in this sense. Much better than let's say the KTM Super Duke GT I tried. Not sure about cornering stability yet, haven't properly tested this.

Fit and finnish is excellent. Attention to detail is very high, more so than on the KTM and Bmw's I sampled previously.

All in all, my first impressions are excellent. I forgot to mention that it absolutely looks a stunner in the flesh. I was constantly stared at in Amsterdam, lookswise it's even better than the 1200 imo..! Only potential gripe I have is that the engine might bore me at some stage, since I kind of like an engine that is not too intimidating, but on the other hand kind of scares you just a little bit.

Further report to follow.

Ditto from me. Good review. Nice to hear your new steed received a lot of attention during your initial ride out  :018: So just one question....is it red or white?  :038:
Sometimes you need a really crooked road to get your head straight

Offline Wassers

• MTS 950 Master
  • Bike: MTS & Speed Twin
  • Town / City: Berkshire
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 03:36:18 PM »
Requiem84  - Ah, having just reread your post title...I'm assuming its red  :084:  :015:
Sometimes you need a really crooked road to get your head straight

Offline Murf46

• MTS 950 God
  • Town / City: newcastle upon tyne
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 09:48:06 PM »
Thanks for the review... Still waiting for mine
Red or dead

Offline Ducato

• MTS 950 Junior
  • Town / City: Lincoln
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 05:19:08 PM »
Fit and finnish is excellent. Attention to detail is very high,

Nice review  :152:

Interesting that you mention that the "fit and finish" is excellent. I thought the same when I saw the bike. In recent years Ducati have come on leaps and bounds and rectified all those tiny little things that spoiled the overal quality of their bikes. They seem to have nailed it now and it shows.

Obviously long term ownership will be the test but the quality aspect has certainly up'ed a gear.

Offline Requiem84

• MTS 950 Junior
  • Town / City: Amsterdam
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 11:45:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by Ducato [+]
Fit and finnish is excellent. Attention to detail is very high,

Nice review  :152:

Interesting that you mention that the "fit and finish" is excellent. I thought the same when I saw the bike. In recent years Ducati have come on leaps and bounds and rectified all those tiny little things that spoiled the overal quality of their bikes. They seem to have nailed it now and it shows.

Obviously long term ownership will be the test but the quality aspect has certainly up'ed a gear.

Exactly. When I rode the KTM Super Duke GT, I was very disappointed to see the way they handled the cable management below the dashboard. Basically, all cables were just a mess. It doesn't give you a premium product feel. Whereas with the MTS950, it does feel like a very high premium product. Imo it looks better than the MTS 1200 actually, due to the better division of black/red rather than quite a bit of silver/metal.

responses from people have been very positive :)

Offline randerson22

• MTS 950 Member
  • Bike: 950 Multistrada
  • Town / City: PORTLAND
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 10:31:18 PM »
I agree on the front suspension.  I really have not had much opportunity to get it out, Portland has been inundated with snow, rain and super cold temps.  I took it our last Sunday, it was 38 F and was really missing heated grips!!  The front suspension does need some adjustment, which I have not yet done.  It just dives too much in stock setup.  And the seat height is fine for me (but I'm 6'-3", just feel crammed too close to the tank by that rear seat riser.