Multistrada 950

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Battery annoyance  (Read 1380 times)

Offline eastbay

• MTS 950 Junior
  • Town / City: Oakland
Battery annoyance
« on: December 03, 2018, 05:18:44 PM »
Newbie here, hello all! I bought a 2017 Red w/1319 miles on it a month ago- it now has 3300 odd and I love the bike! Traded in a 2012 Tiger 800 for it, first Ducati for me, and I am very impressed.

But my 2017 has been turning over slowly and even started a taste of the dreaded clicks of not turning over at all.

I go get a new Shorai battery and start to install it.

When attempting to remove the battery hold down bracket the hex head screw spins without loosening, accompanied by a ratcheting sound that I presume to be the nut at the end of the screw spinning in the plastic case.

Can anyone tell me if this presumption is correct? I guess that I am going to cut the bracket off but if I'm missing something I'd sho appreciate it if someone would be willing to enlighten me.

Offline Darsey

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: Multi 950 white
Re: Battery annoyance
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 10:16:24 AM »
Sorry I am not able to help you as my battery is still fine after eighteen months bit there will be someone on this site who will come to your aid
"ye must be born again"

Offline Dave G

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: MTS950
  • Town / City: Nantwich
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 08:50:31 PM »
I would go straight back to the dealer. They must offer a warranty for a 2nd hand purchase and insist on a new battery.
It's obviously been abused or not used for a long time to be that flat. Once you get a trickle charger it'll be fine.
I leave mine plugged in full time when not in use. The tracker uses some power from the bikes battery.

Offline lather

• MTS 950 Member
  • Bike: Multistrada 950
  • Town / City: St. Francisville
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 09:17:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by eastbay [+]
Newbie here, hello all! I bought a 2017 Red w/1319 miles on it a month ago- it now has 3300 odd and I love the bike! Traded in a 2012 Tiger 800 for it, first Ducati for me, and I am very impressed.

But my 2017 has been turning over slowly and even started a taste of the dreaded clicks of not turning over at all.

I go get a new Shorai battery and start to install it.

When attempting to remove the battery hold down bracket the hex head screw spins without loosening, accompanied by a ratcheting sound that I presume to be the nut at the end of the screw spinning in the plastic case.

Can anyone tell me if this presumption is correct? I guess that I am going to cut the bracket off but if I'm missing something I'd sho appreciate it if someone would be willing to enlighten me.
It is a threaded brass insert in the plastic. Often the two different metals will induce corrosion of the threads welding the two together. Happens all the time on my Japanese bikes. Avoid it by using anti-seize on the threads.. Before I cut the bracket off I'd try pulling the insert out. You might be left with something repairable.
We're lost but we're making great time!

Offline Conman

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Town / City: Stockport
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 08:56:54 AM »
Here's the exploded drawing and list from the parts manual, which may help.
The full parts list can be found at...
http://www.ducati.com/services/maintenance/index.do

Anything more than two wheels is unnecessary.