Multistrada 950

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Standard top box and rack  (Read 3866 times)

Offline thosirl

• MTS 950 Junior
  • Town / City: Dublin
Standard top box and rack
« on: February 17, 2019, 09:18:19 PM »
Hi all,
Im planning on order a 950 next month if everything goes well, and trying to get my head a few bits and options Im going to need, namely a top box. I prefer top box over panniers, as its just 1 small bag for work on my commute I need.
From a few searches on here I understand the DUCATI top box is a rebadged Givi monokey, but I havent been able to find any pictures or prices for the mounting rack? One Ducati description of the top box says fits the bikes integrated quick-release system. - sounds fancy!
Any one know full price for rack, case, and Im guessing the colour covers and keys are probably extra?
Obviously having one set of keys would be great, matching colour great and a nice match if I got panniers in future, but not if the price tag makes sense just yet!

I have a Givi monolock case and universal mount here already, and trying to see how is easy it is to just use that instead. I cant see a Givi kit for the 950, unless anyone can point me in the right direction? Otherwise looks like Shad kit might be easy to adapt to the monolock plate.

Is there any other hard case top boxes to consider, or rack options for a Givi monolock?

Thanks!
Tom

Offline ajy1w

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: MTS950 / HDFXR
  • Town / City: Maplewood
Re: Standard top box and rack
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 11:28:04 PM »
Hi Tom,
I am also working on a top box.  The Ducati top case is $680.00  with the mounting set up in USA.  I used this top case on a rental 2018 MTS 950 last summer for a 12 day trip through the Alps with my wife.  It was great, large holds two helmets and more, dry and could fit a lot including my small carry on bag.
In my taste it takes away from the look of the bike.  Check my photos, French Alps, many pictures of the bike.   In my taste it also looks better without matching color trim.  Just my taste. 
But for me It is to large for what I want.  I don't need a top case this big for everyday ridding.  Only touring with two.   I have the panniers for long trips and gear.   

I am working on a mount set up to use the small black plastic Vario case form the 700 - 800gs BMW.  This case expands to hold a full helmet when needed, but is more the size for what I need and looks much better and smaller on the bike in my opinion. 
My panniers are the black with the Volcanic grey trim (looks close to black)  when I placed the Black vario case on the bike to visualize, I thought it looked stealth and sweet.  When I need the case to be bigger it expands. 

There are several options for our bikes just look at the mounting hardware, thats the trick our tail section requires support arms for most. 
Hepco becker has some good options. 
Let me know how you end up.
Best
Ajy1w
Life behind bars enjoy the ride

Offline Beitsta

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: Multistrada 950
  • Town / City: Cork
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 11:13:26 PM »
When I was buying the 950 I went for the top case rather than the panniers to hold two helmets. (not realising that one of the panniers holds helmets as well).

I like to lock away my helmet - rather than securing it to the bike with a chain/cable when I get off the bike for whatever reason.

I also recommend a centre stand for when you are cleaning the bike or when checking tyre pressures.

Coming from Dublin you will definitely need heated grips!

Whatever you get - enjoy it - you're in for a real treat!
Beitsta

Offline ajy1w

• MTS 950 Pro
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 02:35:40 PM »
Locks will come with your bike because they are key matched to your bike.   Your bike key works the locks.  The locks may also be used with other cases,  I believe,  should check with other case manufacture.  The mount for the Ducati top case has some parts that fill in the spaces of your rear hand rails grab bars.  You can also get a luggage rack plate that will accept your monolock system.   The question would be the look?    When not using the top case.   

On any note,  I find my 950 to be the most compelling motorcycle I have owned.  It's great on all fronts,  and the performance is also great.   
Enjoy.

Offline ajy1w

• MTS 950 Pro
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 02:09:12 AM »
Can some one post a picture of the top case mount,  without the top case attached.  What does the bike look like when the top case is not on the bike. 
I dont plan to keep the top box on the bike except when needed, like when transporting the Mrs, or long tour.  I have the Ducati side cases but for most of the time the cases remain at home again unless traveling.   Daily riding I like the clean look of the bike, and allows for less concern when splitting lanes or tight traffic.   
 :440:

Offline ZiggyCol

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: MTS 950 (Red)
  • Town / City: Harrogate
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 09:11:38 AM »
Life is not a rehearsal . . .

Offline Julian

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: MTS950S
  • Town / City: Bucharest
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 09:35:42 AM »
Maybe this will help also:

Offline bmw_al

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: MTS 950 - Red
  • Town / City: Crowborough
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 02:40:51 PM »
The mount comes with the Ducati MS top box from what I recall, otherwise SW Motech do an adapter plate that clamps on to give you the same functionality.  Personally I prefer the look of the Ducati top box solution, but I realise it's certainly not cheap...

Offline ajy1w

• MTS 950 Pro
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 09:48:59 PM »
Getlemen,
Very Helpful.  Much thanks.  I wanted to mount the small Vario case from BMW GS 850.  The black plactic one that expands. Mounting plate is $200.00 + the case is $450.00 and you still need to buy the back pad, the suport brace bars for the ducati.   The Ducati box one is great for travel. espcaily two up.  I did 12 days in the alps with the MRS, and it woked wonderfully.  Any box of substance with plate and mounts comes close in price to the Ducati box.  I just want the small box look.  For a change of clothes so I dont have to bring the panniers on small day trips or overnight. 
But looking more like the Ducati box. 

Very helpful thank you.

Offline ajy1w

• MTS 950 Pro
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 09:57:44 PM »
Oh Ducati does not offer black trim panels... WTF
So I had to go with the Lava grey or what ever they call it.    :084:
Will do same for top box.