Multistrada 950

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fuel Gauge Problem?  (Read 5439 times)

Offline fipenna

• MTS 950 Member
  • Bike: Multistrada 950S
  • Town / City: Miami
Re: Fuel Gauge Problem?
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2020, 09:38:15 PM »
The same swelling tanks was an issue on the Multis, for the same reason..... their solution was to reduce the capacity of the tanks, so even if it swells it doesn't interfere with the fairings or the rest of the bike!  :232: :232: :232: :232:

Sounds like a joke, but it's not....

So unfortunately we have to live with Ducati's incompetence, or simply careless approach, and know eventually our fuel sensors will go bad. When that day come:
- if still under warranty, just take the bike to the dealer and they'll replace the sensor (until it goes bad again)
- live with the problem and track your fuel based on the mileage
- buy a fuel sensor bypass on ebay to turn off the flashing yellow light and any fuel measurement and track the fuel based on mileage

Some people, myself included, try to use only non-ethanol fuel on the bike to avoid/delay it going off (since they say the problem is the water from the ethanol sitting on the tank). Not sure if it will work.

They are trying to fix (hence being on sensor G already), just not trying hard enough. If it was this difficult other brands would also have a similar issue, and NONE have.

Offline motorman

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: MTS 950
  • Town / City: San Antonio
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2020, 05:44:17 PM »
I have had an intermittent issue with the fuel reading also.  In my case the fuel reading will fluctuate reading correctly and then flash empty with the yellow light on.  The first time this happened I was sloppy putting the fuel in and it dripping on the edge of the flange/left side of drain hole.  A simple wiping it (even though it is dry) clean with paper towel resolved the issue. 

This reoccurred this past weekend while  riding over rough tarmac.  I tried switching the ignition off and on and restarting.  This improved the issue but didn't resolve it until I wiped it again.  It seems like there is some weird sensor around the overflow/drain? 

Just thought I'd share what has worked for me.

Offline neilb

• MTS 950 Master
  • Bike: MTS 950 Red
  • Town / City: Billericay, Essex
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2020, 05:49:07 PM »
Motorman, Ive never had that happen in three years and there have been times when Ive been rather sloppy with the fuel when filling up.

Offline Julian

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: MTS950S
  • Town / City: Bucharest
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2020, 06:06:22 PM »
I have the same issue.
Two weeks ago I noticed the same simptoms, without the overfuelling. Sometimes when I start the bike I can run it for about 10-15 min without no problem. Last week I went to the dealer and they check the sensor, on the computer I had no errors. The dealer said that they had the sensor in stock, but I must wait for the approval from the factory.
For me it was ok because with that ocassion I have ordered the tyres too.

Offline lather

• MTS 950 Member
  • Bike: Multistrada 950
  • Town / City: St. Francisville
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2020, 06:26:11 PM »
My fuel sensor seems to have gone permanently bad. Last two rides it did the flashing on startup and for the entire trip. My factory warranty is up but I purchased the RPMOne extended warranty at the suggestion of my dealer.  I am leaving next week for a 10 day trip with friends and do not have time to take the bike in before departure. I will have to pay close attention to my odometer. When I return I will be close to the 36000 mile service so will take it in and see if my extended warranty is worth the money spent.
We're lost but we're making great time!

Offline motorman

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Town / City: San Antonio
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2020, 06:27:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by neilb [+]
Motorman, Ive never had that happen in three years and there have been times when Ive been rather sloppy with the fuel when filling up.

Weirdest thing ever.  Remember, I'm the one who did video of the under-tank-missing-flange-gasket fiasco.  I have absolutely no explanation for this except she likes to be petted  :745:

Offline Julian

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: MTS950S
  • Town / City: Bucharest
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2020, 07:05:00 AM »
Yesterday I've had booked half a day in the service.

As the fuel level sensor was already in stock, I had to wait almost 2 weeks for the tyres to arrive, stock ones. With this occasion I changed the valve with a 90 degree one for the rear, it was a pain for me to check to air pressure. Because the tank was already off the bike I changed the air filter also and saved some money there. If I had to change it later the cost would have been double, mechanic recommendation  :028: Another recommendation was to change to rear brake pads, but at a cost of more than 80 Eur I've ordered a 40 Eur  BREMBO BRAKE PAD SINT.METAL,VTA,07BB04SA from Louis.

About the fuel level I had nothing to add, everything worked as planned.

Offline CZ47racer

• MTS 950 Member
  • Town / City: San Antonio, Texas
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2020, 11:32:54 PM »
I am having same problem all the time on my low mileage 2017 - sometimes the fuel gauge works correctly, but most of the time it won't give a consistent reading of the bar levels and the yellow light flashes.  Annoying. 

Offline Dill

• MTS 950 Member
  • Town / City: Manchester
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2020, 01:04:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by CZ47racer [+]
I am having same problem all the time on my low mileage 2017 - sometimes the fuel gauge works correctly, but most of the time it won't give a consistent reading of the bar levels and the yellow light flashes.  Annoying.

Sounds very much like the fuel tank sensor is on its last legs - this happened with mine but fortunately for me just inside the warranty period and was replaced.

Offline fipenna

• MTS 950 Member
  • Bike: Multistrada 950S
  • Town / City: Miami
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2020, 02:52:17 PM »
Apparently this is a topic that never gets old..... and Ducati continues to have the same problem while no other brand has.