Multistrada 950

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fecking oil consumption!  (Read 1499 times)

Offline Julian

• MTS 950 Member
  • Bike: MTS950S
  • Town / City: Bucharest
Re: Fecking oil consumption!
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2019, 10:56:26 AM »
I almost forgot about someting.
At my first service they use Motul 15W50 and add some kind of treatment called Metabond 4T.  They told me that it prolongs the life of the engine and that it will feel more fluid in changing gears. I have no issues with gear change or loosing oil, but because it was cheap and was recommended by the Ducati I said I can give it a try.

So guys, maybe this will help solve this problem, Motul and Metabond  :084:.
Here is the link, you can use Translate to English option if it will be in ro :002: and I saw that it is available on Amazon, for sure in many shops.
https://metabond.eu/ro/produs/metabond-4t

Offline wolverine495

• MTS 950 Member
  • Bike: red MTS950
  • Town / City: Weymouth
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2019, 06:22:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jcastellvi [+]
Had the same issue that you are experiencing and Ducati didnt gave me any response or solution. Tried to refill with stock Shell oil, mix Shell with mineral (shell aswell), CastrolGP 20W50 Mineral, Castrol semisynthetic 15W50... and nothing... but now I found that with Motul 15W50 Synthetic (the same oil that Ducati recommends, but changing brand to Motul) it has almost stopped the oil consuption. I made the following --> with 45.000Km made an oil change with "motul engine cleaner" following all the steps needed and indicated by Motul, Oil change with Motul 7100 15W50. Now I have 49000km and almost nule oil consuption. Im sure that I will be able to make 7000km without refilling needed, wich is something amazing for me, riding quite sporty and fast... For me 7000km Its enough to not be worried about. Hope this helps you.

That's very interesting I have just had the rear tyre changed at my normal mechanics ( who is a friend and aprilia factory mechanic, he recommended motul, that is what aprilia use and all he sells, we put 300ml of 15 50 motul in it measured to bring it up to the mark, so that's 300ml in a 1000 miles which he reckons is not too bad, tuono and rsvs use that amount. So I might follow your advice and put motul in it. Thanks very much!

Offline Dave G

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: MTS950
  • Town / City: Nantwich
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2019, 07:40:37 PM »
I would seriously worry if using so much oil.
I use very little. Probably just a cap full each month to keep it on the line when on the paddock stand.

I wonder if your bikes burn oil and you can see plumes of smoke in the mirrors? If so they have not been run in correctly.
I guess ex demo bikes would do this as they never have the TLC from new

Offline wolverine495

• MTS 950 Member
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2019, 11:50:49 AM »
It was run in properly and it does not belch out smoke. So it was run in down twisty country RDS up and down the revs never going above 6k over a week, as I ride a lot! Every day. It did not use a drop of running in oil up to the 600 mile service then it never went above 7k for the next 1000 miles. This is what makes me think there is an inherent manufacturing fault with the bike. I have run in many bikes! Kawasaki z1000sx, honda cbf1000, Suzuki gsxs 1000 and none of those bikes ever used oil between services. I am stuck in negative equity with it or else it would be gone replaced by a Suzuki v Strom xt which I am sure would not use oil. Anyway it's going in tomorrow to be assessed at which point Ducati will tell me oh 300ml per 1000 that's within tolerance tough sh#t. The engine has actually smoothed out over the last 1000 miles so maybe it will sort itself out. I don't know if people realise but Ducati only actually make the crankshafts and camshafts at their factory, everything else is provided by other companies and assembled, unlike Suzuki who manufacture their own metal sintered forged pistons.

Don't get me wrong I love the bike it's a great machine with fabulous suspension and brakes, hopefully I can sort it.

Offline wolverine495

• MTS 950 Member
Re: oil consumption update
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2019, 11:22:06 AM »
Dear All,

An update so I had the rear tyre changed at 4137 and at the same time put in exactly 300ml of motul 15 50, same spec as the shell, so that's 300ml since I topped it up
at 3100, i.e. 1000 miles.
Dropped bike in this morning to rider's in bridgewater to have the oil consumption officially investigated by Ducati, who have been very professional about it.

So at 4847 they took out exactly 3.4 litres and refilled with 3.5 litres of Shell, so in 700 miles it has used 100ml according to that, so appears to be improving.

I will take it back at 5847 and riders will drain and weigh the oil to determine the exact amount of consumption. There was no charge for this investigation and
rider's have been extremely helpful and Ducati, I can only praise them for their level of customer service.

On another note the bike has got smoother and clutch and gearbox as well, so hopefully it was just consumption whilst bedding in, I absolutely love this bike
its a great machine, I took out a Suzuki v-strom 1000 and its not a patch on the Ducati, although it is a very good bike.

Regards

Tony
p.s. I have bought some metabond 4t and 4 litres of motul 7100 for later after they finish their investigation.

Offline Jcastellvi

• MTS 950 Member
  • Town / City: Barcelona
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2019, 11:32:02 AM »
Hi!

They did the same with my MTS950, and they said its "inside the tolerance they have".

They wont do anything. If they do, tell us, because I would have to make an offical complain to Ducati.

Keep in touch!

Offline BabyD

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: Multi 950
  • Town / City: Buckinghamshire
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2019, 03:16:48 PM »
Had to buy some more oil myself yesterday

I also asked how much is too much oil to be using.......was told upto about 1 ltr every 900 miles is ok, unless you see blue smoke, the only way to measure if a bike is using too much oil is we drain the oil, weight the new oil, do a set amount of miles then weight the oil we get out
If I had a second brain cell it would be so lonely......

Offline motorman

• MTS 950 Member
  • Bike: MTS 950
  • Town / City: San Antonio
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2019, 06:06:41 AM »
Thanks for the update! 

Offline briantheb

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: M/S 950 Touring
  • Town / City: Stirling
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2019, 10:20:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by wolverine495 [+]
Dear All,

An update so I had the rear tyre changed at 4137 and at the same time put in exactly 300ml of motul 15 50, same spec as the shell, so that's 300ml since I topped it up
Dropped bike in this morning to rider's in bridgewater to have the oil consumption officially investigated by Ducati, who have been very professional about it.

So at 4847 they took out exactly 3.4 litres and refilled with 3.5 litres of Shell, so in 700 miles it has used 100ml according to that, so appears to be improving.

I will take it back at 5847 and riders will drain and weigh the oil to determine the exact amount of consumption. There was no charge for this investigation and
rider's have been extremely helpful and Ducati, I can only praise them for their level of customer service.

On another note the bike has got smoother and clutch and gearbox as well, so hopefully it was just consumption whilst bedding in, I absolutely love this bike
its a great machine, I took out a Suzuki v-strom 1000 and its not a patch on the Ducati, although it is a very good bike.

Regards

Tony
p.s. I have bought some metabond 4t and 4 litres of motul 7100 for later after they finish their investigation.

Good to hear all appears to be going in the right direction.
The Strom is a good bike but could never be compared to the M/S950.  In my opinion even the other M/Ss dont compare 👍🏻
My 950 uses a bit of oil compared to my other bikes eg. My GS uses none, but no bike gives the same pleasure, even just opening the garage and seeing the M/S sitting there brings a smile to my face.
Hope youre feeling happier with yours as things only get better 👍🏻
Full of enthusiasm - in all the wrong places

Offline Conman

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Town / City: Stockport
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2019, 08:40:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by wolverine495 [+]
Dear All,

Regards

Tony
Thanks for the update. It's a good advertisement for your dealer too. It seems Ducati are consistent across their network with the oil consumption figure (not like their torque wrench figures  :013: ) so I think we can say they're not trying to pull a fast one on you.
Anything more than two wheels is unnecessary.