Multistrada 950

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Low Seat. For the vertically challenged  (Read 2092 times)

Offline angamico

• MTS 950 Member
  • Bike: 2017 MTS 950
  • Town / City: Nassau Bay / Houston
Low Seat. For the vertically challenged
« on: March 17, 2017, 01:17:55 AM »
My low seat arrived today.  I was needing something to eliminate my need to jump from side to side to lower the stand, and not have to hang off my seat to make a ballerina pose with my left foot at every stop.  I am 5 foot 4 inches tall with a 29 inch inseam.

The seat has less padding and is more firm.  I can now rest on the balls of my feet without having to shift from side to side as much.  For the price, probably not worth it.  Not reallly a substantial improvement.  I'll keep it anyways.  I do like the firm feel compared to the original.

In all the pictures below, the low seat is on the right.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:21:12 AM by angamico »
David

Offline Cavalieri

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: XSR900
  • Town / City: Peterborough
Re: Low Seat. For the vertically challenged
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 07:15:50 PM »
Hmmm - dealer told me the lower seat had same padding so am at bit peed off if that isn't the case.  :172:

Offline Cavalieri

• MTS 950 Pro
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 07:46:49 PM »
angamico - Thanks for the pics and comparison btw.

Offline angamico

• MTS 950 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 08:30:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Cavalieri [+]
Hmmm - dealer told me the lower seat had same padding so am at bit peed off if that isn't the case.  :172:

I spent some time riding this morning, and the low seat is growing on me.  My first impressions were from sitting on the bike in the garage.  After riding a bit, I noticed I can manage the bike better at stops.  The padding on the standard seat, coupled with my need to occasionally reach the ground, always had me sliding forward.  Not the most comfortable place to be jammed up, if you know what I mean.  The low seat is more flat in profile from front to back.  Less risk of me singing soprano in a quick stop.  It is definitely a keeper for me.

Now that I know what gubbins are ( :001:), I can tell you there are no bits removable from the bottom of either seat.  The plastic shell appears to be identical, so the only opportunity to reshape is modification to the padding.  The center, stitched panel is more narrow, so it is probably a more professional modification than I would have performed by tearing into the seat myself.

If they charged you for the low seat, you should be allowed to collect both.  Then you can give both a try. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 08:44:36 PM by angamico »
David

Offline Cavalieri

• MTS 950 Pro
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 10:00:46 PM »
angamico - many thanks for that.  :028: I'm going to have a ride out to the dealers tomorrow and pass that on. I've paid extra for the seat so it would be good to have the option to change if needed. 

Offline Cavalieri

• MTS 950 Pro
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 09:08:10 AM »
angamico - checked with dealer and I do get both. How are you getting on with that low seat?

Offline angamico

• MTS 950 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 06:37:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by Cavalieri [+]
angamico - checked with dealer and I do get both. How are you getting on with that low seat?

I am happy with it for sure.  I practiced some emergency stops this weekend.  On a bike this tall (to me), I need to scramble for ground.  The factory seat required me to jump to the side.  The low seat requires I just put my left foot down.  I've done 500 miles in each seat, and I do not feel the low seat lacks any comfort. 

The only gripe I have is it does not have the same clean lines with the body work as the factory seat.  But I can't see that while I'm riding, so I will get over it.
David