Author Topic: Newbie here!  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Bikerhands   gb

• MTS 950 Junior  ‐    4

Offline Bikerhands

• MTS 950 Junior
  • Bike: MTS950
  • Town / City: Consett
Newbie here!
on: November 11, 2019, 11:30:34 am
November 11, 2019, 11:30:34 am
Good day. Thought I'd join up as the weather is closing in and my MTS950 is soon to go into hibernation!

I bought this lovely red machine 2nd hand but have been blown away by the largesse spent on her by the previous owner! He must have ticked just about every box on the options list and aside from me buying the taller comfort seat, there is as far as I can tell, nothing else it needs!! I was going through the stuff it has, panniers and top box, tank bag thingy, crash bars, spot lights, centre stand, Garmin wired in and when I found a pair of the previous owners glasses I sent them off with a covering note and he replied with more history. The bike had basically been bought for trips to the south of France, which explained the squared off tyres. He seemed to have liked it, but not enough to go away and buy a BMW F800!! Me, I would have gone for a Triumph but each to their own!  I cannot figure which of the two screens is quieter (owner had fitted a higher screen but had also cracked it slightly over tightening the screws and I bought a 2nd hand MRA version)  So, now with un-squared new Dunlops (£30 off voucher, always nice) the bike goes around corners as a Ducati should. While I'm getting on a bit, I can still enjoy the way it goes around corners and can even just about understand the owner's manual! Riding around I couldn't understand what HG-OFF meant on the dash.  Went through every concept in my mind until the penny dropped. Heated grips!!  On a Ducati!! Should have known after years with BMW!  Just missing cruise control, but I rarely venture onto motorways so what would be the point?

This bike is a revelation. In 45+ years I had only once ridden a Ducati. In London, back in the '90s. I tried a Paso. Hated it. Now, under the Audi ownership, I find the build quality and construction without fault. Well, maybe one little thing. The tarnishing on the exhaust looks poxy. But guess I'll try bleach and a scrubbing brush as the excellent tyre fitters in Newton Aycliffe suggested (National Bike Tyres). Never thought I'd end up with another chain driven bike but happy not to pay for yet another final drive bearing repair on a BMW...  It could be a little less saggy at the front but I'm having too much fun riding it to start adjusting things. And 60mpg from it as well when not being silly!!!

So now it's time to go searching for the cable to connect it to an Optimate...took the passenger seat off and discovered yet more. Is that a USB? And what looks like a 12v connector? This bike is like Christmas! I keep finding presents!! Do I REALLY need a "parpier" exhaust? No!! I guess there is a point to the new 950S but like every Apple OS update I do wonder what is the point.

I have had bikes from every major manufacturer over the years. This is the best.  EVER.  I don't need the overkill of the bigger version. Don't ever intend to take it off tarmac so no ugly wire wheels here. (BTW...they break. Have had 3 go at different times in my 'career' on Honda, Kawasaki and Triumphs...)  Don't let the great unwashed know, but the Ducati Multistrada 950 is the great undiscovered bargain of all time!!

• Offline ZiggyCol   gb

Offline ZiggyCol

• MTS 950 Pro
    • Bike: MTS 950 (Red)
    • Town / City: Harrogate
    Re: Newbie here!
    Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 11:53:42 am
    November 11, 2019, 11:53:42 am
     :400: Great to hear you are enjoying your bike.
    Life is not a rehearsal . . .

• Offline Beitsta   ie

Offline Beitsta

• MTS 950 Pro
    • Bike: Multistrada 950
    • Town / City: Cork
    Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 01:57:53 pm
    November 11, 2019, 01:57:53 pm
    Welcome Bikerhands and great to read your positive words about the bike that we all love! :0461:
    Beitsta

• Offline Wassers   gb

Offline Wassers

• MTS 950 God
    • Bike: MTS & Speed Twin
    • Town / City: Berkshire
    Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 02:01:36 pm
    November 11, 2019, 02:01:36 pm
    Welcome to the forum Bikerhands.

Sounds like you are having amazing fun discovering the delights of your Mutley.

Enjoy.
    Sometimes you need a really crooked road to get your head straight

• Offline thenozzle   gb

Offline thenozzle

• MTS 950 Master
    • Town / City: Cheshunt / Herts
    Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 04:14:25 pm
    November 11, 2019, 04:14:25 pm
    Hi Bikerhands and  :400: to the forum  :305:
    Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 04:42:33 pm by thenozzle

Offline neilb   gb

Offline neilb

• MTS 950 Master
    • Bike: MTS 950 Red
    • Town / City: Billericay, Essex
    Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 10:02:36 pm
    November 11, 2019, 10:02:36 pm
     :401: to the forum, bikerhands. Sounds like you’re rather taken by your 950. Enjoy 😊

• Offline Daveontheedge   ca

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    40

Offline Daveontheedge

• MTS 950 Member
    • Bike: 2018 R1200RS
    • Town / City: Vancouver
    Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 12:11:44 am
    November 12, 2019, 12:11:44 am
    Welcome Bikerhands!

rage-intracellular