Author Topic: Broken Fuel Connector !!  (Read 2399 times)

Offline Desmofonso   es

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    17

Offline Desmofonso

• MTS 950 Member
Broken Fuel Connector !!
on: March 12, 2020, 11:18:28 am
March 12, 2020, 11:18:28 am
Hi there!

In order to check & clean the air filter at 15.000Km, I did the hard work of unmount all the plastic fairing. Unmounting the petrol tank (not the cover), I saw the gasoline connector was break (see picture 1  :005: :005: :005:.
In a lot of Ducati forums talks about it. This piece is crap, and breaks very easy  :232: :232:. In my case, the damaged bits were the red pointed (see picture 2). This isn't a fatal problem, they are just to push the green pointed bit an open them, in order to pull the gasoline pipe. If the green pointed bits are broken, represents a major problem (may leak fuel).

These piece not exists as a Ducati spare part :157:, and the solution by a dealer was "buy the entire pump" (800) :211:. That's crazy!!!

But in other forum I found the solution (CHEAP): a spare part from MotoGuzzi. :047: :046: :037: In this link you will find all the info, instruction, site to buy, etc.
https://www.ducati.ms/threads/multistrada-dvt-fuel-pump-hose-query.694065/

Hope to be usefull!!

Offline Julian   ro

Offline Julian

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Bike: MTS950S
  • Town / City: Bucharest
Re: Broken Fuel Connector !!
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 02:17:24 pm
March 12, 2020, 02:17:24 pm
I hope we will never need this.
But great job, well done and thanks! :821:

• Offline motorman   us

Offline motorman

• MTS 950 Pro
    • Bike: MTS 950
    • Town / City: San Antonio
    Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 05:05:16 pm
    April 09, 2020, 05:05:16 pm
    Wow!  Thank God for MotoGuzzi!!  :001:  They came and saved Ducati from their own stupidity :173:  I have never understood why a single part vs. an entire unit on a bike is not available for sale.  At least break it down to fuel connector and line.  800 is crazy.  Thanks for the MacGyver!

• Offline BabyD   gb

Offline BabyD

• MTS 950 Master
    • Bike: Multi 1260s
    • Town / City: Buckinghamshire
    Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 07:35:59 pm
    April 09, 2020, 07:35:59 pm
    On the subject of the fuel system & warranty issues (NO....NOT ME) a customer purchased a brand new 950s & with in 14 days the fuel pump went, which apparently is very rare, so the dealer went to Ducati to get warranty permission to fix bike, but instead of just giving them permission to replace fuel pump, the dealer was asked if they had another new bike instock......which they did, so Ducati payed to get the accessories moved over to the new bike & with in 5 working days the customer picked up another brand new bike.

only down side to the dealer is they had another second hand 950 to sell.
    If I had a second brain cell it would be so lonely......

• Offline motorman   us

Offline motorman

• MTS 950 Pro
    Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 11:59:59 pm
    April 10, 2020, 11:59:59 pm
    Baby D this is good to hear Ducati is taking care of their customers.  I recently just had the 9k mi service performed.  Its been a disaster.  Thankfully I have more than one bike to ride as the dealer would not give me a loaner.  After first receiving bike back the brakes were spongy (I had them flush and add Dot 5) the new tech didn't bleed the brakes properly.  Next I noticed gas smell after refueling.  I refueled 4 times to confirm this was an issue.  Then attempted to take bike in for them to fix.  No luck, wait would be 10 days.  So I kept the bike to ride that weekend and went home thinking the fuel vent line was not connected.  grabbed the fuel line, which promptly came loose.  Then opened up the fairing to find out the fuel vent line clamp and screw were missing and the foam weather shroud to protect the electronic was not even in stalled properly.  Livid, I returned the following business day (3 days later as it was late Saturday I found this out).  The took the bike in right away to their credit for repair with the seasoned Tech.  Sooo I get the bike back 4 days later, refill the tank again.  No gas smell, so far good.  I leave the fuel station and accelerate hard.  Fuel comes splashing up on my helmet visor and I look down thinking the fuel cap popped up.  Nope.  Don't know what the issue will be this time as I haven't had time to disassemble the bike or ride again.   :230: :172:

I don't know the location of the fuel connector, but I'm concerned the newbie tech bumped it funny and now I have a leak. 

Offline Desmofonso   es

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    17

Offline Desmofonso

• MTS 950 Member
    Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 03:37:32 pm
    April 14, 2020, 03:37:32 pm
    To Motorman. This connector is located  in the upper part of the fuel pump (piece #5 in picture 1). To reach it, (see picture 2) pull up the piece #10 (no screws). Then loose the screws #4 and then you can extract the fairing piece #9, pushing it forward direction.

Good Luck!!

• Offline motorman   us

Offline motorman

• MTS 950 Pro
    Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 07:46:55 pm
    April 16, 2020, 07:46:55 pm
    Thank you Desmo!  The right side is where all the fuel is coming from!  :019:  I did remove those panels, but the colored (white) panel is screwed on.  Anything special about removing this one or just unscrew the fasteners ?

Thank you again!

• Offline BabyD   gb

Offline BabyD

• MTS 950 Master
    Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 12:50:48 pm
    April 17, 2020, 12:50:48 pm
    *Originally Posted by motorman [+]
    Thank you Desmo!  The right side is where all the fuel is coming from!  :019:  I did remove those panels, but the colored (white) panel is screwed on.  Anything special about removing this one or just unscrew the fasteners ?

Thank you again!

if you look at this YouTube video it shows how the panel are attached, I know its not a 950 but the process will be the same,

• Online Wassers   gb

Online Wassers

• MTS 950 God
    • Bike: MTS & Speed Twin
    • Town / City: Berkshire
    Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 01:23:47 pm
    April 17, 2020, 01:23:47 pm
    Handy video that!

For anybody that has already attempted to re-fit the fairing black plastic side panel (@10.36), its an absolute pig to line up correctly :232:

I found I had to use many swear words until it finally fitted ok  :164:  :008:

Sometimes you need a really crooked road to get your head straight

• Offline BabyD   gb

Offline BabyD

• MTS 950 Master
    Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 01:57:37 pm
    April 17, 2020, 01:57:37 pm
    I STILL.... can't get the right hand panel to fit properly on my 1260 also it never fitted properly on my 950 either, also asked the dealer to do it on many service occasions but still no