Author Topic: Buying a 2017 Multistrada 950  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Prashan   au

• MTS 950 Junior  ‐    5

Offline Prashan

• MTS 950 Junior
  • Town / City: Mount Colah
Buying a 2017 Multistrada 950
on: August 12, 2020, 04:53:17 pm
August 12, 2020, 04:53:17 pm
Hello guys,

I am considering buying a 2017 used Multistrada which has heaps of accessories for 13k AUD.

This bike has 24100 KMs on odo, it comes with belly pan, panniers, radiator guard and crash bar. I have prepared a list of questions I want to ask the owner.

Finally let say if I have to change the brake pads, sprockets, chain and do the major valve service, should I go for a brand new Multistrada?

Check sprocket and chain.
Ask for service interval, when is the next major service? Have you carried out the 24,000 desmo service?
Check for rusting on the headers as it seems like a common problem with Multistrada.
Would like to do cold start, appreciate if you don't start the bike in the morning.
How old are the tyres and how many KMs on them?
When was the last oil change?
Check the disk for groves. Did you replace the breakpads recently?
Are panniers and belly pan OEM or after market? (no really a concern if it is not OEM)
Did you get the battery replaced at Ducati, what brand are they?

Am I missing anything?

Offline buzzardbilly   gb

Offline buzzardbilly

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Town / City: Gloucester
Re: Buying a 2017 Multistrada 950
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 05:23:45 pm
August 12, 2020, 05:23:45 pm
Prashan,

I might not be the most knowledgeable person on the Forum but I have owned a 2017 Multi from new and it has about 18k kms on it
Check for that desmo service for sure - here in the UK it is about an 800 cost and yes check the drive parts and the discs as all the parts are expensive if using genuine Ducati spares

Don't worry about the rusting headers - they all rust - you can easily clean them up and there is a thread on this Forum about that (Harpic household cleaner and Autosol)

Don't worry too much about tyres - if it comes with good tread then fine but most people get some very good distances out of a set - I changed my originals at 11k kms as I was going on a tour but realistically they still had about 25% more left in them

Never had any problems with starting / battery life and not heard of any issues on this Forum

Biggest issue seems to be with gear selection, false neutrals and the gear position indicator switch failure (current problem with mine). The square cut gears to bed in after the run in period but problems still persist with some owners. Check it out on a test run.

Overall I have been more than pleased with mine and it it a great bike to ride  - if I had to change it today then I would probably go same again

Offline Prashan   au

• MTS 950 Junior  ‐    5

Offline Prashan

• MTS 950 Junior
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 05:28:47 pm
August 12, 2020, 05:28:47 pm
Thanks for the detailed reply, I will check the desmo service cost here with Ducati service station. Definelty will check on these lines you mentioned.

"Biggest issue seems to be with gear selection, false neutrals and the gear position indicator switch failure (current problem with mine). The square cut gears to bed in after the run in period but problems still persist with some owners. Check it out on a test run."

Don't want to stall the bike and look silly, have done this on my v4 few times.

Offline buzzardbilly   gb

Offline buzzardbilly

• MTS 950 Pro
  • Town / City: Gloucester
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 07:52:40 pm
August 12, 2020, 07:52:40 pm
...oh yes - the cable clutch on the 950's can be very snatchy when the engine is cold - everyone stalls it first time . Trick is let it warm up for a couple of minutes and then it is good

• Offline Multi950   nl

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    41

Offline Multi950

• MTS 950 Member
    • Bike: Multistrada 950
    • Town / City: Alkmaar
    Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 09:48:46 pm
    August 12, 2020, 09:48:46 pm
    @Prashan;

Not much to add to previous except this;
    If the price difference between new and 2nd hand is 30% or less, I would go for new. Then you will have a hydraulic clutch and 4 years warranty nowadays. And with new you are sure of the breaking in of the engine and components like gears and suspension.

Just my two cents

But most important, enjoy riding the Multistrada 950

Offline Prashan   au

• MTS 950 Junior  ‐    5

Offline Prashan

• MTS 950 Junior
    Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 03:59:18 pm
    August 13, 2020, 03:59:18 pm
    Thanks for the reply. I am just trying to save a little bit on the bike and use that for the travel. This will be an addition to my v4 and just want keep the budget low at the moment as the second hand bikes come with loads of goodies and the owner is really nice and the bike is well looked after.

• Offline Conman   gb

Offline Conman

• MTS 950 Pro
    • Town / City: Stockport
    Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 04:54:48 pm
    August 18, 2020, 04:54:48 pm
    Dealer service is an absolute must but you probably know that owning a Ducati anyway.

Some people have had fuel level sensor problems. 
    There was an early recall for a water pipe - needed strengthening.
    Check the head bearings - if it's been used offroad they may have had a hard time (mine were replaced under warranty).
    You can just about see the teeth on the drive sprocket (with a torch at the side of the sprocket cover). That's the best way to tell if chain/sprockets need changing. The bike's pretty easy on them but at that mileage they might need doing.
    Anything more than two wheels is unnecessary.