Author Topic: New to Ducati  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Hippiedave   us

• MTS 950 Junior  ‐    3

Offline Hippiedave

• MTS 950 Junior
  • Bike: 950S
  • Town / City: Fort Bragg CA
New to Ducati
on: January 30, 2021, 05:44:43 am
January 30, 2021, 05:44:43 am
Just purchased a MS 950S (2020) and am very jazzed.  I'm from the North Coast of California and am coming from touring bikes (Harley baggers and a BMW R 1200 RT).  I've decided I've done my share of riding long distances through this great open country of ours (that's a nice way of saying Nevada, Kansas, Nebraska and Texas go on forever!).  So I'm trailering and RVing these days, and decided to switch to a SsportTourer /Adventure bike to explore on.  I'll still be doing quite a bit of two up riding, so I pretty quickly identified the beemer GS bikes, the MS 950 and the Triumph 900 as logical choices.  Didn't take much research to decide.  Went down today and popped for the 950 S, probably the most beautiful of any of the  motorcycles I've owned.  I pick it up next week after some accessories are installed, and cannot wait to take off on it.  Not to make anyone jealous, but since I live four blocks from the northern end of the Pacific Coast Hiway, that's going to be my first ride!  Look forward to hangin' about here a bit.

• Offline thenozzle   gb

Offline thenozzle

• MTS 950 Master
    • Town / City: Cheshunt / Herts
    Re: New to Ducati
    Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 09:44:06 am
    January 30, 2021, 09:44:06 am
    Hi Hippiedave  :400: to the forum  :305:

Offline Hippiedave   us

• MTS 950 Junior  ‐    3

Offline Hippiedave

• MTS 950 Junior
    Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 06:37:43 pm
    January 30, 2021, 06:37:43 pm
    Thanks.  My first question, of course, is what seat  is the best?
    This is actually a somewhat serious Q, as --while I can flatfoot the bike with a standard seat--I'd like one that lowers the seating position a bit without losing all that padding that the Ducati low does, or keeps it the same height with better comfort. Just starting my quest.

• Offline Paul_Smith   ie

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    49

Offline Paul_Smith

• MTS 950 Member
    • Bike: Versys 1000
    • Town / City: Roscommon
    Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 01:34:58 am
    January 31, 2021, 01:34:58 am
    Hi Hippiedave and welcome. Can I suggest you hold off on changing the seat for a while, at least until you have put a few miles on your new toy. The bikes you are coming from could be described as "feet forward" and so you are used to a certain "feeling" in your butt. The risk is that  if you start by spending enough money, time and effort to turn the 950S into an adequate bagger, you will have missed out on those differences that make the 950S special. Give it time, and then you can change it from a position of knowledge.

Offline Hippiedave   us

• MTS 950 Junior  ‐    3

Offline Hippiedave

• MTS 950 Junior
    Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 02:24:37 am
    January 31, 2021, 02:24:37 am
    Probably very good advice.  I'm just prejudiced by the fact that I've never ridden a stock seat that was as good as a Corbin or Sargent or one of the other aftermarket companies.  But I will defer to an experienced voice here. :002:

rage-intracellular