Author Topic: Did it take you a while to love your 950?  (Read 10368 times)

• Offline sbtgn1   il

• MTS 950 Junior  ‐    4

Offline sbtgn1

• MTS 950 Junior
    • Bike: 950s
    Re: Did it take you a while to love your 950?
    Reply #30 on: May 28, 2021, 04:25:41 pm
    May 28, 2021, 04:25:41 pm
    10x for the input i'll will change it as well .

Offline DieselDork   us

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    17

Offline DieselDork

• MTS 950 Member
    • Bike: 2020 950 S SW
    • Town / City: Nashville, TN y'all
    Reply #31 on: June 13, 2021, 11:47:44 pm
    June 13, 2021, 11:47:44 pm
    OP here… I had the 600 mile service done last weekend.  The dealership owner and one of the techs dialed the suspension in for me.  I told them my issues, they asked some questions, reviewed my settings, made fun of me for a bit, then made initial changes and sent me out.   Couple of adjustments based on my feedback and they had it set up perfectly for me.  What. A. Difference!!!!   I finally see why everyone is in love with these bikes.  :821:

• Offline sandy2424   us

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    14

Offline sandy2424

• MTS 950 Member
    • Bike: 950S SW
    • Town / City: Indianapolis
    Reply #32 on: June 14, 2021, 12:02:38 am
    June 14, 2021, 12:02:38 am
    *Originally Posted by DieselDork [+]
    OP here… I had the 600 mile service done last weekend.  The dealership owner and one of the techs dialed the suspension in for me.  I told them my issues, they asked some questions, reviewed my settings, made fun of me for a bit, then made initial changes and sent me out.   Couple of adjustments based on my feedback and they had it set up perfectly for me.  What. A. Difference!!!!   I finally see why everyone is in love with these bikes.  :821:

Nice, I am amusing they opted out of standard presets. I'd be interested to hear more about what they did.

What did your break-in service cost, what did it cover?
    Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 12:20:53 am by sandy2424

• Offline Nitram   dk

• MTS 950 Junior  ‐    3

Offline Nitram

• MTS 950 Junior
    • Bike: Multistrada 950
    • Town / City: Svendborg
    Reply #33 on: June 14, 2021, 10:31:57 am
    June 14, 2021, 10:31:57 am
    DieselDork, please share your new suspension settings.

Offline DieselDork   us

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    17

Offline DieselDork

• MTS 950 Member
    • Bike: 2020 950 S SW
    • Town / City: Nashville, TN y'all
    Reply #34 on: June 15, 2021, 01:30:02 pm
    June 15, 2021, 01:30:02 pm
    Sorry for the delay.   Essentially, they softened everything up.  I had mistakenly thought that the unstable wallowing was from too soft settings (medium) and bumped everything up firmer.  They moved the settings to "softest" at first, and took out some of the extra pre-load that I had put in (based on some measurements with me on the bike.  He sent me out and I immediately felt more planted. There was some marshmallow feel from the rear so they went up to "soft" in the rear.  It all seemed counter-intuitive to me, but the bike rides great.  I'm still not sure what the Load Mode setting controls in the front.  In the rear, it seems like it controls spring pre-load.  In the front however, there's a manual adjustment on the top of the right fork leg.  They changed that a couple times, but not sure how many "clicks" out it is.  I'm happy to get the numbers from the Load Mode's and post them, but unless you are exactly my size and ride exactly like I do, I very seriously doubt that they would be of any use to anyone. 

The service cost was $268 USD.  They gave me a ducati branded checklist along with the bill.  Checklist included Oil and filter, seal check, brake/clutch fluid check, chain tension (with notated measurement and limit), chain stretch(with notated measurement and limit), spoke tension, side stand, hoses, tire pressure (with notated measurement), saftey check, coolant level check, and road test.  On the bill itself was 1.1 hours labor ($143 USD), oil filter ($22.56USD), washer ($1.18USD) and 4quarts Shell Advance 15w50 ($71.80).

• Offline sandy2424   us

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    14

Offline sandy2424

• MTS 950 Member
    • Bike: 950S SW
    • Town / City: Indianapolis
    Reply #35 on: June 15, 2021, 02:51:17 pm
    June 15, 2021, 02:51:17 pm
    *Originally Posted by DieselDork [+]
    Sorry for the delay.   Essentially, they softened everything up.  I had mistakenly thought that the unstable wallowing was from too soft settings (medium) and bumped everything up firmer.  They moved the settings to "softest" at first, and took out some of the extra pre-load that I had put in (based on some measurements with me on the bike.  He sent me out and I immediately felt more planted. There was some marshmallow feel from the rear so they went up to "soft" in the rear.  It all seemed counter-intuitive to me, but the bike rides great.  I'm still not sure what the Load Mode setting controls in the front.  In the rear, it seems like it controls spring pre-load.  In the front however, there's a manual adjustment on the top of the right fork leg.  They changed that a couple times, but not sure how many "clicks" out it is.  I'm happy to get the numbers from the Load Mode's and post them, but unless you are exactly my size and ride exactly like I do, I very seriously doubt that they would be of any use to anyone. 

The service cost was $268 USD.  They gave me a ducati branded checklist along with the bill.  Checklist included Oil and filter, seal check, brake/clutch fluid check, chain tension (with notated measurement and limit), chain stretch(with notated measurement and limit), spoke tension, side stand, hoses, tire pressure (with notated measurement), saftey check, coolant level check, and road test.  On the bill itself was 1.1 hours labor ($143 USD), oil filter ($22.56USD), washer ($1.18USD) and 4quarts Shell Advance 15w50 ($71.80).

Thanks for the response. You're right on the suspension settings being optimized to the rider, so my curiosity was just about seeing what they did to get you right. Your service cost also seems reasonable, I have been getting quoted $350-400 up here.

• Offline sbtgn1   il

• MTS 950 Junior  ‐    4

Offline sbtgn1

• MTS 950 Junior
    • Bike: 950s
    Reply #36 on: June 18, 2021, 06:55:56 am
    June 18, 2021, 06:55:56 am
    *Originally Posted by sbtgn1 [+]
    10x for the input I'll will change it as well .

it does fill a bit more comfortable and a bit taller , down side is that you get more wind

• Offline wotbus@   fr

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    35

Offline wotbus@

• MTS 950 Member
    • Bike: 950s & SD900
    • Town / City: 50
    Reply #37 on: June 18, 2021, 10:23:06 am
    June 18, 2021, 10:23:06 am
    Hi all. I’ve followed this thread since it began and interesting to note the different inputs.
    We’ve just returned from a 1250m round trip to the S of F and back, Cherbourg - Carcassonne, in some pretty hot weather. Four days in the saddle over departmental roads there, rest day, same for the return except the last leg Loire (Saumur) - Cherbourg, was Autoroute or fast dual carriageway.
    To say I love this bike would be an understatement, it’s perfect. Two-up with loaded panniers, half full top box and a quite heavy tank bag it was a dream to ride.
    I had doubts it would satisfy me in the “grunt” department in the hills of the south as did my Guzzi Norge but I need not have. It did everything it should, happily, fluidly and so much more elegantly. On the splendid biking roads of the Dordogne and further south we were experiencing some serious lean angles which would have had the Guzzi centre-stand ploughing the road...but nothing decked, just rock-solid confidence, ideal.
    Mode - Touring, Load - 2 + luggage, Suspension tweak, both front/rear one step up to a bit harder.
    Seat comfort/riding position for both of us - exemplary, nothing to complain about.
    Economy - 65mpg.  Screen - Ducati Tinted Touring set one click up - perfect (I’m 6’, and it looks cool with the GP White livery).
    The cruise control is an absolute god-send for my arthritic right wrist which has my thumb and forefinger going numb with prolonged throttle gripping although it doesn't function very smoothly when increasing/decreasing speed, as in my car for example so I tended to leave it either on or off. May be the nature of the beast or a fault so I will discuss it with my dealer. Pressing the + to increase speed there is a 3-4sec delay followed by a sudden rush of acceleration, similarly when pressing the - to decrease there is a delay followed by a “closed throttle” deceleration to the chosen speed. I could live with it solo because of anticipation but my pillion wasn't at all happy with it and judging where to position the throttle when switching it off became a bit of an art in the interest of smoothness but that will come in time.
    Somewhere between Cahors and Carcassonne we lost a foot-rest rubber (trying to get the knee down  :164:) so if anyone is in that area keep an eye out also the road from Mazamet to Carcassonne over Black Mountain through mountainous forest is a scratcher’s dream and should be taken in large doses.
    I chose departmental roads because I was running the bike in and riding cool but by the time we turned around to come home with 2000k on the clock it had loosened up nicely and staying in 6th for longer became the norm. This really is a superb motor. The last leg at max permitted (+ a bit  :172:) was the icing on the cake.
    For me this is an ideal touring bike for one or two, loaded or not. Very economical and with all the performance one needs so I give it a big thumbs up  :152:

• Offline wotbus@   fr

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    35

Offline wotbus@

• MTS 950 Member
    • Bike: 950s & SD900
    • Town / City: 50
    Reply #38 on: June 18, 2021, 04:21:47 pm
    June 18, 2021, 04:21:47 pm
    PS: I've just read the handbook the Plus or Minus on the Cruise Control Switch can be pushed and released (clicked in the words of the book) to increase/decrease speed small increments at a time whereas I was in fact holding it pressed until something happened, :182: so unjustified criticism on my part, sorry.