Author OIL FILTER - Life Span  (Read 998 times)

• Offline Molly8118   us

• MTS 950 Junior  ‐    7

Offline Molly8118

• MTS 950 Junior
    • Town / City: Rancho Mission Viejo
    OIL FILTER - Life Span
    on: August 18, 2021, 10:26:31 pm
    August 18, 2021, 10:26:31 pm
    Good afternoon.

I was just curious since "technically" after 600 mile service, next one is at 9000.  I would never wait that long and will swith it out every 3,000-4,000, with oil filter of course.

How long do the oil filters last for ?  I was just curious.  It seems technicaly up to 9000 miles would realy tax the filter but I was just curious on how they work.

thanks

• Offline opmike   us

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    23

Offline opmike

• MTS 950 Member
    Re: OIL FILTER - Life Span
    Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 02:23:00 am
    August 19, 2021, 02:23:00 am
    I think this question requires some agreement on what constitutes an oil filter being considered "spent."

Not that I'd recommend such a thing, but it wouldn't surprise me if you could run an oil filter 3+ times the oil change interval before you were up against the thing going into bypass. However, obviously "oil filter ain't clogged yet" is too poor a standard. You also have to factor in that it's not just filtration you're up against, it's the integrity of the filter media itself. Over extending one can lead to the thing literally just falling apart. This is much more visible on "exposed" vs. spin on oil filters. I'm not quite sure at what mileage all of this occurs on what filter.

The bobistheoilguy forums are a great place if you want to go deep down the rabbit hole of engine oils.

On my bikes, I do 5K intervals with Motul 7100 or 3K intervals of 300V and either case gets a new OEM filter each time.

• Offline Molly8118   us

• MTS 950 Junior  ‐    7

Offline Molly8118

• MTS 950 Junior
    • Town / City: Rancho Mission Viejo
    Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 03:02:36 pm
    August 19, 2021, 03:02:36 pm
    Cool, thanks so much.  Appreciate it.

• Offline nasher75   us

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    26

Offline nasher75

• MTS 950 Member
    • Bike: 20 950 S
    • Town / City: Los Gatos
    Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 02:38:47 pm
    September 08, 2021, 02:38:47 pm
    If you are running a quality Full Synthetic Oil, you would have no problems letting the oil go for 9000 miles, but I would certainly replace the oil filter more frequently.  You have no way of knowing when the filter media has reached full capacity and the filter goes into bypass.  Synthetic oil does not breakdown like conventional oil, but it does get dirty from metal and carbon produced in the crankcase and if your filter (tiny little thing) has gone into bypass, you are just circulating that crap through the engine components.

Personally, like the poster above, I also do oil changes every 4-5K, regardless of the the quality of oil I'm using.  9K oil and filter change on a small high revving engine is a great plan.  I also think it's laughable that they suggest you clean the air filter at 9K and replace at 18K, simply because of the effort it requires to access the air filter.  You bet your ass that when I spend hours taking the body work and fuel tank off to access the air filter, I will be replacing it.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

• Offline Jcastellvi   es

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    27

Offline Jcastellvi

• MTS 950 Member
    • Town / City: Barcelona
    Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 04:01:25 pm
    September 22, 2021, 04:01:25 pm
    If an engineer that is capable of buiding a hole engine says that the oil filter and the oil itself lasts 9000miles (or 15000km) I donīt see the point of changing it before or after. Of course you can change the oil and filter every 3000 miles and nothing is going to happen and I bet that if you change the oil and filter every 13000miles (or 20000km) itīs going to be OK. But, where is the point of doing such kind of things... I donīt see it.
    I just do what the manufacturer says.

rage-intracellular