Author Topic: Machine Noise  (Read 636 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline Mr_chen   cn

    • MTS 950 Member  ‐    13
    • **

    Offline Mr_chen

    • MTS 950 Member
    • **
    • Posts: 13
    • Country: cn
    • Bike: MTS 950S sw
    • Town / City: Shanghai
    Machine Noise
    on: August 20, 2021, 03:54:36 am
    August 20, 2021, 03:54:36 am
    I found this noise last month. And i can't make sure what happened on my 950s. I am far away from the dealer. and i will go there for service next month.  Who know what happened? Thanks a lot!

    Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 09:08:27 am by admin

  • Offline sandy2424   us

    • MTS 950 Member  ‐    23
    • **
      #1

    Offline sandy2424

    • MTS 950 Member
    • **
    • Posts: 23
    • Country: us
    • Bike: 950S SW
    • Town / City: Indianapolis
    Re: Machine Noise
    Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 01:43:21 pm
    August 20, 2021, 01:43:21 pm
    Sounds like something is rubbing against one of the shafts. How many miles on it? If it's still in warranty, you're best served taking it in.

  • Offline opmike   us

    • MTS 950 Member  ‐    20
    • **
      #2

    Offline opmike

    • MTS 950 Member
    • **
    • Posts: 20
    • Country: us
    Re: Machine Noise
    Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 02:59:58 pm
    August 20, 2021, 02:59:58 pm
    Mine makes the exact same noise. You can hear it a lot more clearly with the covers off. There's a metal washer between the drive pulleys that's making the racket and you can hear the exact same pitch/tone if you flick or tap it with your finger. There was a guy on another forums that did an entire engine tear down chasing the noise, and ended up just being the washer.

    The noise gets more pronounced when the engine is warm, so there's some expansion happening that gives it just enough clearance to make that noise.

  • Offline Mr_chen   cn

    • MTS 950 Member  ‐    13
    • **
      #3

    Offline Mr_chen

    • MTS 950 Member
    • **
    • Posts: 13
    • Country: cn
    • Bike: MTS 950S sw
    • Town / City: Shanghai
    Re: Machine Noise
    Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 01:55:39 am
    August 23, 2021, 01:55:39 am
    *Originally Posted by sandy2424 [+]
    Sounds like something is rubbing against one of the shafts. How many miles on it? If it's still in warranty, you're best served taking it in.

    about 9000+KM,Yes, it's still in warrantly. I plan to the dealer for service next month.

  • Offline Mr_chen   cn

    • MTS 950 Member  ‐    13
    • **
      #4

    Offline Mr_chen

    • MTS 950 Member
    • **
    • Posts: 13
    • Country: cn
    • Bike: MTS 950S sw
    • Town / City: Shanghai
    Re: Machine Noise
    Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 02:02:00 am
    August 23, 2021, 02:02:00 am
    *Originally Posted by opmike [+]
    Mine makes the exact same noise. You can hear it a lot more clearly with the covers off. There's a metal washer between the drive pulleys that's making the racket and you can hear the exact same pitch/tone if you flick or tap it with your finger. There was a guy on another forums that did an entire engine tear down chasing the noise, and ended up just being the washer.

    The noise gets more pronounced when the engine is warm, so there's some expansion happening that gives it just enough clearance to make that noise.


    Yes, the same same as mine.  Have you solved this? 

  • Offline Mr_chen   cn

    • MTS 950 Member  ‐    13
    • **
      #5

    Offline Mr_chen

    • MTS 950 Member
    • **
    • Posts: 13
    • Country: cn
    • Bike: MTS 950S sw
    • Town / City: Shanghai
    Re: Machine Noise
    Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 02:09:54 am
    August 23, 2021, 02:09:54 am
    *Originally Posted by Mr_chen [+]
    I found this noise last month. And i can't make sure what happened on my 950s. I am far away from the dealer. and i will go there for service next month.  Who know what happened? Thanks a lot!


    updated the vedio


  • Offline opmike   us

    • MTS 950 Member  ‐    20
    • **
      #6

    Offline opmike

    • MTS 950 Member
    • **
    • Posts: 20
    • Country: us
    Re: Machine Noise
    Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 03:09:02 am
    August 23, 2021, 03:09:02 am
    Here's mine.


  • Offline Mr_chen   cn

    • MTS 950 Member  ‐    13
    • **
      #7

    Offline Mr_chen

    • MTS 950 Member
    • **
    • Posts: 13
    • Country: cn
    • Bike: MTS 950S sw
    • Town / City: Shanghai
    Re: Machine Noise
    Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 04:20:57 am
    August 23, 2021, 04:20:57 am
    *Originally Posted by opmike [+]
    Here's mine.



    Will you plan to solve this ? :001:

  • Offline opmike   us

    • MTS 950 Member  ‐    20
    • **
      #8

    Offline opmike

    • MTS 950 Member
    • **
    • Posts: 20
    • Country: us
    Re: Machine Noise
    Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 04:27:12 am
    August 23, 2021, 04:27:12 am
    *Originally Posted by Mr_chen [+]

    Yes, the same same as mine.  Have you solved this?

    I mean, you'd have to find some way to dampen the washer so that it can't "ring" for lack of a better term. I don't know how that could be accomplished without affecting the clearances between the two drive pulleys. You'd think it being squeezed between them would be enough to accomplish that, but why this is not the case is beyond me. A user on YouTube tested this hypothesis using some high temperature tape, but this obviously isn't a permanent nor robust solution even though it solved the racket.

    I'm pretty sure all 950's have this symptom to varying degrees. I spent more time than I care to admit researching this issue and I've probably watched every single YouTube video where you can hear the bike idling and stationary in an attempt to pick up on the sound. This is all complicated by the fact that there's all kinds of noise coming from the exhaust, desmo valvetrain, injectors, pulleys, belts, etc. that can drown out this little secondary noise. But you can definitely hear it on a bunch of bikes when the conditions are right. Dealer responses seem run the spectrum of "they all do that" to "we're going to replace X, Y, and Z part." The latter approach doesn't actually seem to cure anything and the noise returns.

    We'd really need to get some kind of technical service bulletin/statement from Ducati corporate (unlikely). It would be nice if everyone here checked their bike for the noise. I'd also be curious for those people whose bikes DON'T appear to have this noise if this remains the case with the lower cover removed, since it dampens the sound somewhat.

  • Offline Mr_chen   cn

    • MTS 950 Member  ‐    13
    • **
      #9

    Offline Mr_chen

    • MTS 950 Member
    • **
    • Posts: 13
    • Country: cn
    • Bike: MTS 950S sw
    • Town / City: Shanghai
    Re: Machine Noise
    Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 05:15:55 am
    August 23, 2021, 05:15:55 am
    *Originally Posted by opmike [+]
    I mean, you'd have to find some way to dampen the washer so that it can't "ring" for lack of a better term. I don't know how that could be accomplished without affecting the clearances between the two drive pulleys. You'd think it being squeezed between them would be enough to accomplish that, but why this is not the case is beyond me. A user on YouTube tested this hypothesis using some high temperature tape, but this obviously isn't a permanent nor robust solution even though it solved the racket.

    I'm pretty sure all 950's have this symptom to varying degrees. I spent more time than I care to admit researching this issue and I've probably watched every single YouTube video where you can hear the bike idling and stationary in an attempt to pick up on the sound. This is all complicated by the fact that there's all kinds of noise coming from the exhaust, desmo valvetrain, injectors, pulleys, belts, etc. that can drown out this little secondary noise. But you can definitely hear it on a bunch of bikes when the conditions are right. Dealer responses seem run the spectrum of "they all do that" to "we're going to replace X, Y, and Z part." The latter approach doesn't actually seem to cure anything and the noise returns.

    We'd really need to get some kind of technical service bulletin/statement from Ducati corporate (unlikely). It would be nice if everyone here checked their bike for the noise. I'd also be curious for those people whose bikes DON'T appear to have this noise if this remains the case with the lower cover removed, since it dampens the sound somewhat.


    I also spent much time on study the bike's structure for which or where will produce this noise. And found the noise point since i take the cover off. But there's no way to solve at the moment. I sent this vedio to the dealer, I think they don't pay attention to it. Just tell me continue to ride. And can go there for check anytime.

    I don't know whether the pullys or washers are worn.