Author Topic: Front Brake Howl/Growl at Low Speed  (Read 662 times)

• Offline nasher75   us

• MTS 950 Junior  ‐    9

Offline nasher75

• MTS 950 Junior
    • Bike: 20 950 S
    • Town / City: Los Gatos
    Front Brake Howl/Growl at Low Speed
    on: October 22, 2021, 02:08:33 pm
    October 22, 2021, 02:08:33 pm
    About 1 month after I purchased my 950S, I started to experience a brake howl/shudder when coming to stops.  I'd guess the noise starts when I'm modulating off the brakes a little just before a full stop, maybe around 10 MPH.  Asked the dealer about it and they told me it was normal for bikes with floating rotors.  That's bullsh#t.  Had plenty of other bikes with fully and partially floating rotors and never experienced this.

Caliper and Rotor mounting bolts are all tight.

Thinking, since we are in the middle of a storm at the moment, that I might pop off the front wheel to scuff/sand the full surface of the rotors and pop the front pads out and do the same.  Start with fresh surfaces and go though brake bed-in again to see if it helps. 

Anyone else experience this on their 950?
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

• Offline Colywobbles   gb

• MTS 950 Junior  ‐    8

Offline Colywobbles

• MTS 950 Junior
    • Bike: 950S GP White
    • Town / City: Manchester
    Re: Front Brake Howl/Growl at Low Speed
    Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 10:01:54 pm
    October 22, 2021, 10:01:54 pm
    I have the same problem on my 950s, I’m now 8,000 miles in and not found a solution. It’s been back to the dealer and I got a similar response, “sintered brake pads are noisy”, never been a problem on any of my previous bikes though. I’ll be interested to see if you resolve your problem.

• Offline gmf1   au

• MTS 950 Junior  ‐    9

Offline gmf1

• MTS 950 Junior
    Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 12:18:15 am
    October 24, 2021, 12:18:15 am
    My front and rear sounded like nails on chalk board when new. Front is fine now but rear still does it when I come to a stop.

• Offline Jcastellvi   es

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    26

Offline Jcastellvi

• MTS 950 Member
    • Town / City: Barcelona
    Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 10:39:42 am
    October 28, 2021, 10:39:42 am
    It´s completely normal. Do not worry at all.

• Offline nasher75   us

• MTS 950 Junior  ‐    9

Offline nasher75

• MTS 950 Junior
    • Bike: 20 950 S
    • Town / City: Los Gatos
    Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 06:22:49 pm
    November 17, 2021, 06:22:49 pm
    It's been a while since I posted this, but I did eventually pull the pads, sanded them down and sprayed them clean with brake clean.  Scuffed the rotor surfaces and did an aggressive bed-in to heat the rotors and transfer pad material.  Have a nice uniform material transfer on the rotors.  I've done a couple rides since and have not heard the noise return yet, but it didn't start happening on my bike from new until I was around 700 miles. 

I did some searching on this and found others who had this on this particular model and found that aftermarket pads made the difference.  Most people reported the best results from SBS pads, but hard to say how long they ran them to confirm the growl and shuddering went away.  I'm still convinced this is not normal/acceptable.  I've had several motorcycles of different types and never had this before.  The occasional squeal is normal on most brakes, but this is different.  This is only happening on the fronts as I cannot reproduce the noise when only using rear brake.

Only time will tell, so I'll keep coming back from time to time to update this post and when I do need new pads, I'm planning to try the SBS 900SP's.  I've had care with factory Brembo pads and rotors and they were always sub par, especially the factory pad compounds. 
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

• Offline Crempel64   us

• MTS 950 Junior  ‐    3

Offline Crempel64

• MTS 950 Junior
    • Town / City: Hendersonville
    Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 02:36:04 pm
    November 23, 2021, 02:36:04 pm
    Had the same thing too. Earplugs helped, but still drove me nuts. I tried removing pads and sanding them, scuffing and cleaning the rotors and putting some grease on the back of the pads. Worked for a little while, but the noise came back. Now I've replaced the front pads with EBC HH and things are quiet up front. This allows me to hear the squealing from the rear brakes now! Cleaned, sanded and greased those and quite again. I agree, kind of annoying. Not the biggest deal though.

rage-intracellular