Author Topic: Smaller front sprocket created quick shifter issues  (Read 1334 times)

• Offline Crempel64   us

• MTS 950 Junior  ‐    6
    • Topic Author

Offline Crempel64

• MTS 950 Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Town / City: Hendersonville
    Smaller front sprocket created quick shifter issues
    on: December 22, 2021, 04:32:12 pm
    December 22, 2021, 04:32:12 pm
    I just installed a one tooth smaller front sprocket on my 950S to get a little more oomph out of slower corners. Worked awesome! EXCEPT, now my qs is confused. Apparently it compares rpm, gear position and road speed to calculate how many rpm to add when blipping. With the smaller sprocket, the numbers don't match now. Anybody encountered this and found a fix? I can't go through life using a clutch to downshift!  :009:

• Offline Lambert   gb

• MTS 950 Pro  ‐    135

Offline Lambert

• MTS 950 Pro
    • Bike: Multistrada 950S
    Re: Smaller front sprocket created quick shifter issues
    Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 07:30:02 pm
    December 22, 2021, 07:30:02 pm
    Worth doing a tyre calibration?, this ‘teaches’ the bike the tyre rolling circumference and final drive ratio.

• Offline Crempel64   us

• MTS 950 Junior  ‐    6
    • Topic Author

Offline Crempel64

• MTS 950 Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 04:27:00 pm
    January 01, 2022, 04:27:00 pm
    So I did a tire calibration, but no luck. I've talked with 4 different dealers and they all say that changing the gearing should not affect the qs. However, yesterday I reinstalled the stock front sprocket and now the qs works perfectly again. Obviously something is confusing the computer. I guess I'll try to contact Ducati corporate to see if I can get more information. Nobody else has had this issue?

• Offline Pol53   es

• MTS 950 Junior  ‐    5

Offline Pol53

• MTS 950 Junior
    • Town / City: SALAMANCA
    Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 07:53:18 pm
    January 13, 2022, 07:53:18 pm
    Hello, what does it mean that you have changed the 19 "tire for another 17" if so, you can say how you have done it and if it is worth it. Thank you

• Offline Stavross   gb

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    53

Offline Stavross

• MTS 950 Member
    • Bike: Mts 950
    • Town / City: Brierley hill
    Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 12:00:45 am
    January 14, 2022, 12:00:45 am
    I ran into a guy up cross gates asked him how his bike had been said he had three times in the dealers for quick shifter problems . But went I. To say “you want to get a smaller sprocket on the front it’s bloody awesome but obviously he was ha I ha the same issue with qs

• Offline Crempel64   us

• MTS 950 Junior  ‐    6
    • Topic Author

Offline Crempel64

• MTS 950 Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 03:07:48 pm
    January 15, 2022, 03:07:48 pm
    To be clear, I did not switch wheel sizes. I still have a 19in in the front and 17 in the back. All I did was replace 15 tooth front sprocket with a 14. Obviously this is going to have a change on the ratio of RPM to MPH. After I called the four different dealers with no luck, I sent an email to the Ducati North America website and they actually called me back the same day and I spent about 20 minutes on the phone with a super helpful guy named Eric. He told me that he was going to contact one of their Regional super technicians and ask him the question and then he was going to call me back. He called me back about five minutes later and told me that the technician had told him that the first thing to try is a tire calibration. If that doesn't work, you can bring it into the dealer and they will hook it up to their DSS computer and the 950 Multistrada happens to be one of the bikes in the Ducati lineup that is reprogrammable for gearing changes. He told me that if the dealer wasn't familiar with the process or how to do it, that they should just contact him and he would walk them through it. Part of the issue for me with the local dealer is that they have only been a Ducati dealer for a few months, and therefore are not the most experienced with all of these little idiosyncrasies.

• Offline nasher75   us

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    40

Offline nasher75

• MTS 950 Member
    • Bike: 20 950 S
    • Town / City: Los Gatos
    Reply #6 on: March 28, 2022, 02:34:16 pm
    March 28, 2022, 02:34:16 pm
    *Originally Posted by Crempel64 [+]
    To be clear, I did not switch wheel sizes. I still have a 19in in the front and 17 in the back. All I did was replace 15 tooth front sprocket with a 14. Obviously this is going to have a change on the ratio of RPM to MPH. After I called the four different dealers with no luck, I sent an email to the Ducati North America website and they actually called me back the same day and I spent about 20 minutes on the phone with a super helpful guy named Eric. He told me that he was going to contact one of their Regional super technicians and ask him the question and then he was going to call me back. He called me back about five minutes later and told me that the technician had told him that the first thing to try is a tire calibration. If that doesn't work, you can bring it into the dealer and they will hook it up to their DSS computer and the 950 Multistrada happens to be one of the bikes in the Ducati lineup that is reprogrammable for gearing changes. He told me that if the dealer wasn't familiar with the process or how to do it, that they should just contact him and he would walk them through it. Part of the issue for me with the local dealer is that they have only been a Ducati dealer for a few months, and therefore are not the most experienced with all of these little idiosyncrasies.

Did you ever get this sorted out?
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

• Offline Horizon   au

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    14

Offline Horizon

• MTS 950 Member
    • Bike: 2021 Ms950
    • Town / City: Cooroy
    Reply #7 on: April 19, 2022, 12:22:18 pm
    April 19, 2022, 12:22:18 pm
    Interested as well, I can see that eventually I'd like to run smaller at the front, or maybe better to run larger at the rear for lower gearing.  I rarely use 6th on shorter rides.
    It’s later than you think.

• Offline rabhem   gb

• MTS 950 Junior  ‐    9

Offline rabhem

• MTS 950 Junior
    • Town / City: Edinburgh
    Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 10:51:07 am
    November 20, 2022, 10:51:07 am
    Hi,

I'm considering dropping a tooth on the front sprocket too. Wondering if anyone else has had success with the QS issue? Does it only affect the downshifting?

Regards,
    Rab