Author 950s Noise - Does everyone's make this noise?  (Read 756 times)

• Offline DucatiMike   au

• MTS 950 Junior  ‐    3

Offline DucatiMike

• MTS 950 Junior
    • Town / City: ORANGE
    950s Noise - Does everyone's make this noise?
    on: January 16, 2022, 12:32:45 am
    January 16, 2022, 12:32:45 am
    Hi,

I've taken this bike to the dealer and was focused on the noise being the timing belt with them tweaking and saying there is no problem.  I believe this is an air intake or transmission problem/noise but I'm not a mechanic.  It started around 2500km and is so damn loud I really can't stand this bike, I'm disappointed after spending this kind of money to have something that sounds like this. 

An unedited video to show you.  Around 4min 10s I pull the clutch in showing how it stops.  Thoughts? 

Thanks,

Mike

• Offline zetaetatheta   us

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    30

Offline zetaetatheta

• MTS 950 Member
    • Bike: 950s
    • Town / City: Myrtle Beach
    Re: 950s Noise - Does everyone's make this noise?
    Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 03:03:40 pm
    January 16, 2022, 03:03:40 pm
    Not sure what I'm looking for but sounds like mine when I ride without a helmet and aren't wringing her out.  The sound sitting above all those moving parts is different than the side sound which is a little more throaty.  I'm usually giving her the beans and I like the way she sounds especially above 4k.

• Offline Paul_Smith   ie

Offline Paul_Smith

• MTS 950 Pro
    • Bike: Versys 1000
    • Town / City: Roscommon
    Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 08:45:11 pm
    January 16, 2022, 08:45:11 pm
    I didn't hear anything there that I would be concerned about. There was a positive change when you lowered the screen so perhaps you are hearing helmet noise or turbulance from the camera or other accessory. What helmet are you currently using and have you changed it recently?

• Offline DucatiMike   au

• MTS 950 Junior  ‐    3

Offline DucatiMike

• MTS 950 Junior
    • Town / City: ORANGE
    Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 04:20:47 am
    January 17, 2022, 04:20:47 am
    Thanks for the responses.  Mic was on my chest/beer gut.  I guess I will have to trade it in, can't see anyone wanting this bike after riding it.  It really diminishes the fun for me listening to a howl rather than the engine... unless I exceed the speed limits.  Great bike otherwise.

• Offline IakWhisky   scotland

Offline IakWhisky

• MTS 950 Pro
    • Town / City: Galashiels
    Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 05:09:41 pm
    January 17, 2022, 05:09:41 pm
    Difficult to tell but it does sound like a bit of a drone.
    I'm not massively pleased with the sound of the bike, but that's more because I'd like it to be a bit louder or more old school gutteral Ducati. It certainly sound better when you're revving it. But there's nothing offensive about the sound of the motor to me.

The buffeting from the screen is a different matter and almost a deal breaker. It would be if I rode it more and did a lot of touring.

• Offline Paul_Smith   ie

Offline Paul_Smith

• MTS 950 Pro
    • Bike: Versys 1000
    • Town / City: Roscommon
    Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 10:55:07 am
    January 20, 2022, 10:55:07 am
    *Originally Posted by DucatiMike [+]
    Thanks for the responses.  Mic was on my chest/beer gut.  I guess I will have to trade it in, can't see anyone wanting this bike after riding it.  It really diminishes the fun for me listening to a howl rather than the engine... unless I exceed the speed limits.  Great bike otherwise.
    You say you used a chest mic, did that video sound like what you hear in your helmet when riding?

I am not quite sure what your expectations were are or what your previous experience is, but if I were looking for a 2nd hand MTS950, I would have no qualms about test riding yours based on what I saw and heard in your video, and I don't see why anyone else would be put off it either.