Author Topic: Gear Position sensor again  (Read 1747 times)

• Offline lather   us

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    99
    • Topic Author

Offline lather

• MTS 950 Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Multistrada 950
    • Town / City: St. Francisville
    Gear Position sensor again
    on: January 22, 2022, 03:32:24 pm
    January 22, 2022, 03:32:24 pm
    I had this problem corrected at my 36000 mile service. At that time the tech just did the position learning procedure. At 42000 the problem is back and worse. Until the engine is warmed to 178 F the dash shows  gear 2 when the engine is actually in neutral and the engine does not want to crank even with the clutch held in.  It takes several minute of gently fiddling with the shifter before I can finally get the motor started then holding the clutch to keep it running. I have read the Ducati instructions for the gear learning procedure and it seems very daunting but I am going to give it a try, once we get some reasonably warm weather. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this and what were the results.
    We're lost but we're making great time!

• Offline buzzardbilly   gb

• MTS 950 Pro  ‐    317

Offline buzzardbilly

• MTS 950 Pro
    • Town / City: Gloucester
    Re: Gear Position sensor again
    Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 08:40:32 pm
    January 22, 2022, 08:40:32 pm
    This vid might help if you get to doing it - seems a lot easier to watch this than read the instructions but is is for 1200 Multi (this guy has some great vids on his Youtube channel)

When mine played it is was very clunky changing/finding gears especially 1st & 2nd (especially when static) and because the bike didn't know (electronically) what gear it was in things like the rev limiter cut in at times when it was clearly not over revved

&t=149s

• Offline lather   us

• Topic Author

Offline lather

• MTS 950 Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 09:25:53 pm
    January 22, 2022, 09:25:53 pm
    Thanks for the vid! The problem I have is its hard to get the screen to believe its in neutral to even get the motor to crank. Then when it starts the vibration will jiggle the gear lever and the engine will shut off, thinking its in gear. Once the engine warms up all seem normal but I am worried about getting stranded if I stop somewhere.

• Offline Bear   gb

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    37

Offline Bear

• MTS 950 Member
    • Bike: 950S / R1250GS
    • Town / City: Cheshire
    Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 02:15:38 pm
    January 23, 2022, 02:15:38 pm
    *Originally Posted by lather [+]
    Thanks for the vid! The problem I have is its hard to get the screen to believe its in neutral to even get the motor to crank. Then when it starts the vibration will jiggle the gear lever and the engine will shut off, thinking its in gear. Once the engine warms up all seem normal but I am worried about getting stranded if I stop somewhere.

Forgive me if I'm being stupid but surely the engine should crank regardless of what gear it is (or isn't) in - provided the clutch is pulled in and the side stand is up?

• Offline lather   us

• Topic Author

Offline lather

• MTS 950 Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 02:30:55 pm
    January 23, 2022, 02:30:55 pm
    *Originally Posted by Bear [+]
    Forgive me if I'm being stupid but surely the engine should crank regardless of what gear it is (or isn't) in - provided the clutch is pulled in and the side stand is up?

Yes, you are correct. Unless the side stand switch and/or clutch switch are fed to the ECU and the gear position error is muddling up the signals. I need to have a close look at both switches and make sure they are not dirty.

• Offline Bear   gb

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    37

Offline Bear

• MTS 950 Member
    • Bike: 950S / R1250GS
    • Town / City: Cheshire
    Reply #5 on: January 23, 2022, 04:35:21 pm
    January 23, 2022, 04:35:21 pm
    *Originally Posted by lather [+]
    Yes, you are correct. Unless the side stand switch and/or clutch switch are fed to the ECU and the gear position error is muddling up the signals. I need to have a close look at both switches and make sure they are not dirty.

I guess that's my point. Is there any logical connection between the gear position indicator and the start/not start decision in the ECU? I can't see why there would be...

• Offline lather   us

• Topic Author

Offline lather

• MTS 950 Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 02:35:48 pm
    January 25, 2022, 02:35:48 pm
    *Originally Posted by Bear [+]
    I guess that's my point. Is there any logical connection between the gear position indicator and the start/not start decision in the ECU? I can't see why there would be...
    I have no official information to answer that question but there seems to be a trend of controlling more and more functions with the ECU instead of mechanical switches.

• Offline Ian_H   gb

• MTS 950 Pro  ‐    146

Offline Ian_H

• MTS 950 Pro
    • Bike: V2S, R9T, MT01
    • Town / City: Amersham, Bucks.
    Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 07:47:08 am
    January 26, 2022, 07:47:08 am
    I had the same issue - like others ... and also couldn't start it with clutch in - issue with clutch switch apparently ? More likely ECU perhaps after reading this. Wasn't an expensive fix from memory?
    https://www.multistrada950.com/index.php/topic,1298.msg12611.html#msg12611

• Offline lather   us

• Topic Author

Offline lather

• MTS 950 Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #8 on: January 29, 2022, 02:53:00 pm
    January 29, 2022, 02:53:00 pm
    Update: I checked the had a look at the clutch and side stand switches. I saw no obvious problems with the connectors but the side stand pivot had some chain lube grime on it. After cleaning this the bike will start every time as long as I hold the clutch in. With the bike in neutral when I turn the key to on the green neutral light is own and the display indicates neutral but as soon as I start the bike the display changes to 2.

rage-intracellular