Author Topic: Engine temperature on a hot day  (Read 252 times)

• Offline Mart75   gb

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    17
    • Topic Author

Offline Mart75

• MTS 950 Member
    • Topic Author
    • Town / City: Bridgwater
    Engine temperature on a hot day
    on: July 14, 2022, 11:47:03 pm
    July 14, 2022, 11:47:03 pm
    I'm sure there must be threads about this already - just couldn't find them!
    Air temperatures this week around 26 - 30 degrees - things are OK whilst moving at 60+ mph - but in the city - engine temp gauge starts to rise quickly from around 68 to 104 and the fan seems to direct air flow onto lower left leg - really uncomfortable. Just wondered if there are any modifications to reduce the hot air being blown out of the engine at the lower legs (especially the left leg) on a warm day.

Is this just something to live with?

• Offline Conman   gb

• MTS 950 Pro  ‐    494

Offline Conman

• MTS 950 Pro
    • Town / City: Stockport
    Re: Engine temperature on a hot day
    Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 10:37:46 am
    July 21, 2022, 10:37:46 am
    Controlling engine temperature is something which I've found the MTS950 struggles, even with a big radiator and an oil cooler.

On an average day with comfortable air temperature my engine will sit at 65C - 70C while moving. Get stuck in a jam or first gear crawl and it soon creeps up. My fan comes on at around 103C while the temperature creeps up to 105C then drops to 97C and cycles pretty reliably at that. However I was once stuck in a huge jam on a really hot day and the temperature hit 107C which was a bit alarming.

In continental Europe in the middle of a bad heat wave I've been bowling down the highway at 120kph with the engine sat at 83C which was also alarming but it never worried the bike.

Conversely on a cold damp/wet winter day I can see the thermostat opening/closing as the engine temperature oscillates between 63C and 57C.

Hot left leg is something I've just put up with. After all, sitting in a jam is not something I do very often on the bike and I'd hate to compromise the cooling just for those rare occasions, but maybe someone has designed a deflector or something.

That's what I've noticed on the many boring slogs down highways or through urban jungles. Of course on the interesting and exciting bits I've no idea what the engine temperature is doing  :001: Your bikes may be different.
    Anything more than two wheels is unnecessary.

rage-intracellular