Author Topic: WindScreen for MTS 950  (Read 16140 times)

• Offline pmxbmega   pt

Offline pmxbmega

• MTS 950 Pro
    • Bike: MTS950
    • Town / City: Lisbon
    Re: WindScreen for MTS 950
    Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 08:09:26 pm
    June 04, 2018, 08:09:26 pm
    Yes this is a dame sh#t post topic  :172:  :087: I passed the last days reading this issue and there is a lot of people complaining about the right windscreen for the MTS.... Yesterday I was fighting with the wind and notice if I stand up a bit all the buffeting and noise simple disappeared. So probably the best is wind to the chest or wind over the helmet and eyes under the screen. So is the puig racing windscreen short enough to send the wind to the chest and not to the helmet? Or is the puig touring windscreen high enough to send the wind over the helmet?
    For what I read the best is the mra vario touring, but that deflector, for me, is something I can't deal with it  :006:

The big problem here is that there is no market to experiment and then make the right decision. So probably I will take the measurements of the puig racing screen and make something alike and go outside and test. If the wind simply continue to go to the helmet, probably I will try the puig touring big as hell 😵.

Now there is a new windscreen from the Givi but no reviews  :027:

Dame you ducati engineers  :172:
    ... live to ride, ride to live :):):)
    ... ride to live, live to ride ;););)
    ... just f##king ride :P

• Offline Conman   gb

Offline Conman

• MTS 950 Pro
    • Town / City: Stockport
    Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 10:24:27 am
    June 05, 2018, 10:24:27 am
    If you are being buffeted behind your screen, it is because you are in turbulent air; air that is rolling round like waves on the sea. This is caused because the screen, which is directing the air, is suddenly not there so the air has no support and two layers of air (above and below the screen) re-combine at different pressures and speed. If you take the screen away the air looses the turbulence and is more like a flowing river; you feel a constant pressure. I recently rode a Monster 800 down the motorway and could not believe how much I had to hang on!

The reason the vario works is beacause it is creating two layers of air that are travelling in the same direction at the same speed so when the screen is not there the two layers recombine smoothly (like layers of Lasagna) and take much longer to break up. The Multi partly addresses this by having a gap at the bottom between the screen and the nose. Some people have found changing the size of the gap helps.

If you've got the skills to make your own test sample screen pmxbmega, I would have a look at the screen gap (and angle) as well. It won't take much to make a difference. Of course we would all need to know your results  :001:
    Anything more than two wheels is unnecessary.

• Offline prefdavid   gb

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    19

Offline prefdavid

• MTS 950 Member
    • Bike: Multistrada 950
    • Town / City: Bury
    Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 08:25:10 am
    June 09, 2018, 08:25:10 am
    Now ridden a couple of hundred miles since fitting the MRA screen. Haven't tried changing the deflector position yet from fully open but it's made a significant improvement to both the wind noise and the buffeting to date. Also think it looks a lot nicer than the original screen. I'll try and add a couple of pictures soon.

• Offline Murf46   gb

Offline Murf46

• MTS 950 God
    • Town / City: newcastle upon tyne
    Reply #13 on: June 09, 2018, 08:36:45 am
    June 09, 2018, 08:36:45 am
    *Originally Posted by prefdavid [+]
    Now ridden a couple of hundred miles since fitting the MRA screen. Haven't tried changing the deflector position yet from fully open but it's made a significant improvement to both the wind noise and the buffeting to date. Also think it looks a lot nicer than the original screen. I'll try and add a couple of pictures soon.

I keep telling people this  :038:
    Red or dead

• Offline buzzardbilly   gb

Offline buzzardbilly

• MTS 950 Pro
    • Town / City: Gloucester
    Reply #14 on: June 09, 2018, 05:10:04 pm
    June 09, 2018, 05:10:04 pm
    +1 on Murf46  - the MRA vario screen works so well for me

• Offline Beitsta   ie

Offline Beitsta

• MTS 950 Pro
    • Town / City: Cork
    Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 10:51:01 pm
    June 18, 2018, 10:51:01 pm
    *Originally Posted by resovoir [+]
    Have just read all the comments re windscreens. From this it appears each to his/her/neutral gender own.
    There are the following main screens mentioned:
    Givi D7406 ST height 59cm
    MRA Touring Screen 50cm high
    Puig Touring 62 cm high  and
     Ducati Grand Turismo screen 40 cm high
    Ducati smoked same as Clear touring screen (presume GT above) 40cm
    As I am 6ft 2" (1.88cm) normal leg length 31" tall body looks as if the PUIG is best choice. However any advice welcome.

I apologise for raising this issue again, but I want to change my screen to get rid of (or significantly reduce) any buffeting as I ride over 60 mph.

NeilB and Tozes are just back from a long trip - would you both tell us your experiences regarding buffeting - or lack of it on your trip and what screens do you have?

AmirSoliman - you said that you had ordered the Givi screen - how are you getting on with it - has it reduced the buffeting?

Moto45 - Can you let us know the results of your extensive research into this issue?

I spoke with a GS rider over the past weekend who said the GS suffers from buffeting as well - is this true?

I would love to put this issue to bed once and for all and get the 'best' replacement screen for the Multi.

Could I ask for everyones final comments on this issue - even if you are repeating yourself? :440:

Many thanks in advance!

Beitsta

• Offline neilb   gb

Offline neilb

• MTS 950 Master
    • Bike: MTS and Monster
    • Town / City: Billericay, Essex
    Reply #16 on: June 19, 2018, 04:57:14 am
    June 19, 2018, 04:57:14 am
    Beitsta, Im 6 1 with a 33 inside leg and have the Ducati GT touring screen, smoke tint. You may also factor in that I wear a Caberg  Duke flip helmet. I suffer absolutely no buffeting whatsoever at any speed, whether cruising at about 80 mph or being silly at well into three figures. Sure, at these speeds there is a fair amount of wind noise. Proper fitting earplugs reduce this incredibly. But, if you are after a world of calm then you need a car....eugh!

I cant (and wont) comment on the GS!

Hope this info is useful to you.

• Offline 1811SAR   us

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    20

Offline 1811SAR

• MTS 950 Member
    • Town / City: NOVA
    Reply #17 on: June 19, 2018, 12:39:14 pm
    June 19, 2018, 12:39:14 pm
    *Originally Posted by prefdavid [+]
    After reading all the various comments and advice I replaced the standard screen with the MRA Vario Touring Screen...Got the smoke grey version and I think it looks better than the standard screen.
    I just pulled the trigger on a smoked MRA VTS...  Can't wait to get it on.
    Cheers mates,
    G

• Offline resovoir   gb

Offline resovoir

• MTS 950 Pro
    • Town / City: Near Portsmouth
    Reply #18 on: June 29, 2018, 04:53:29 am
    June 29, 2018, 04:53:29 am
    *Originally Posted by resovoir [+]
    Have just read all the comments re windscreens. From this it appears each to his/her/neutral gender own.
    There are the following main screens mentioned:
    Givi D7406 ST height 59cm
    MRA Touring Screen 50cm high
    Puig Touring 62 cm high  and
     Ducati Grand Turismo screen 40 cm high
    Ducati smoked same as Clear touring screen (presume GT above) 40cm
    As I am 6ft 2" (1.88cm) normal leg length 31" tall body looks as if the PUIG is best choice. However any advice welcome.
    Seems I have made an error my dealer informs me the Ducati  smoked touring screen is 56cm. Apologies for error

• Offline 1811SAR   us

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    20

Offline 1811SAR

• MTS 950 Member
    • Town / City: NOVA
    Reply #19 on: June 30, 2018, 03:49:25 pm
    June 30, 2018, 03:49:25 pm
    *Originally Posted by 1811SAR [+]
    I just pulled the trigger on a smoked MRA VTS...

I got it on...  The combo looks sweet.  As was earlier advised, the MRA is smaller and I assume I'll need to play with the adjustable fairing some to get the best air flow up and over...

Cheers mates,
    G