Author Topic: Oil consumption  (Read 21397 times)

• Offline Bahadir   tr

• MTS 950 Junior  ‐    2

Offline Bahadir

• MTS 950 Junior
    • Town / City: İstanbul
    Re: Oil consumption
    Reply #40 on: March 23, 2021, 10:14:22 am
    March 23, 2021, 10:14:22 am
    My oil level is slightly more then the max line when the bike is on center stand. (2020 MTS950 S)

There must be a further safe margin, I would like to make it sure that if I am still on the safe side.
    The dealer has replaced the oil, I checked it with the dealer again and told me that it is ok still in the safe margin and also informed me that the angle of the center stand is not that correct and controlled it on tires by levelling the bike and it was seem to me more ok

What is your comment on that? would be it be possible that the center stand angle is not ok to make the bike upright 90? or slightly exceeding the limit is ok?

In addition to this, I just completed 1000 km on it and there is a white smoke on the first run which is there up to 1minutes then it goes away when the rev is balanced... This is something happens from the beginning of my purchase and expecting getting less after 1000 km. (at the meantime the weather was always cold)
    The bike stays in the outside (half covered garage) and in the cold but not under direct rain etc.. Could be the reason only cold? the dealer told me again that it is normal but this is something more then my previous yamaha...  would it be because of the upright exhaust position, it just blows to the sky and possible rain drops inside the exhaust? During my first purchase the bike was in a fully covered and hot area and no smoke was occurred during the first run and when the bike is hot it does not happen in the outside when I stop the engine and run it after 30minutes in example.

could you please advise.

• Offline Jcastellvi   es

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    26

Offline Jcastellvi

• MTS 950 Member
    • Town / City: Barcelona
    Reply #41 on: March 23, 2021, 12:01:04 pm
    March 23, 2021, 12:01:04 pm
    Hi, Margin error exists? Is going to damage your engine? No, but (more explanation later). Is your "official dealer" a good professional? I donīt think so... As an Official Dealer is completely compulsory for him to follow the remarks given by Ducati. Ducati says "never fill engine Oil above upper mark. Thatīs it, that easy, no more "margin errors" or "stand issues..." "Itīs not going to damage the engine...", Well, depending, how much oil has "above the mark" 0.1L? 0.2L? 1L... In a new engine, I would not do it for one simple reason... In my motorbike, I had serious Oil consuption issues (now, I donīt know why itīs almost gone with 73000km) But I knew that 0.3L extra on my engine where going to be burned in 2000K, so no too much to worry about... but if you are carrying 1L extra and your oil consuption is 0... itīs going to be a good overpressure inside a new engine. Up to you... My solution, go to the dealer and make him work as expected.

• Offline Paul_Smith   ie

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    61

Offline Paul_Smith

• MTS 950 Member
    • Bike: Versys 1000
    • Town / City: Roscommon
    Reply #42 on: March 24, 2021, 06:40:59 pm
    March 24, 2021, 06:40:59 pm
    If you were lining up at the start of a round the world trip or a 24hour endurance race, then you would want the oil level to be absolutely spot on exact. If you want to ride the bike for pleasure, then learn to relax a little bit. Slightly above max would not be enough to concern me, but if you do remain concerned, then teach yourself to change the oil yourself. It is not difficult to do and while it is a little scary the first time, once you have done it two or three times, it is as easy as brushing your teeth and you will always know that the oil is always exactly the way you want it to be. 

• Offline ajy1w   us

Offline ajy1w

• MTS 950 Pro
    • Bike: MTS950 / HDFXR
    • Town / City: Maplewood
    Reply #43 on: May 02, 2021, 10:21:28 pm
    May 02, 2021, 10:21:28 pm
    Been awhile since I have visited the forum.  When I took my bike in for the 1st service 9000 mile service.  They said my oil was very low.  The light had never come on.  Dealer said to check more frequently.  The bike returned from the service and was not used for 1 week.  Then my wife and I were leaving for a 12 day trip in the bike.  Bike all packed up warming up in my driveway and the bit sh#t a load of oil out.   
    Very concerned and upset I immediately called the dealer they asked If I could ride it over.  I checked the oil level was fine.  With my wife and gear we rode to the dealer.  They took it right in and checked it telling me that my oil filter was defective.  Replaced it and on we went to start our 2400 mile bike trip.  Constantly checking the oil the entire trip it seemed fine.  When we returned it was a little low so I toped it off.  I ride the bike very hard over 100mph almost every ride.  I like to wheelie 1std gear, I take the bike off road, some high rev use with some shifts rev lights flashing.   Since the 1st service now mileage of 13,350.  In about 4000 miles I have added a liter.  and today it looks like it will need more.  I did talk my dealer about concern when they told me it was low on oil.  They said within 1 liter per 1000 miles.  I find this excessive, never had a bike or car that drank oil. 
    Love this bike.  The engine seems as strong as its first day.  My breakin was as good as I could control myself to 500 miles, as soon as it turned 500 miles I was on it pushing it. 
    Thats my oil story and consumption.     
    Life behind bars enjoy the ride

• Offline Paul_Smith   ie

• MTS 950 Member  ‐    61

Offline Paul_Smith

• MTS 950 Member
    • Bike: Versys 1000
    • Town / City: Roscommon
    Reply #44 on: May 03, 2021, 01:27:43 pm
    May 03, 2021, 01:27:43 pm
    Wheelies, red lining, and triple digit speeds and you find 250ml of oil every thousand miles to be 'excessive'? That's a little excessive of you, don't you think?
    You ride hard so you expect to burn through stuff faster. How much do you spend on brake pads, tyres and fuel? A little quality oil to keep the engine sweet seems like a good deal to me.

• Offline ajy1w   us

Offline ajy1w

• MTS 950 Pro
    • Bike: MTS950 / HDFXR
    • Town / City: Maplewood
    Reply #45 on: May 10, 2021, 01:24:04 am
    May 10, 2021, 01:24:04 am
    I find 1 liter to 1000 miles seems excessive to be the standard for Ducati before you need worry.  My experience of 1 liter per 4000 miles seems like a lot to me in my bike ownership experience over 40 years.  I am not upset or worried, if I am within the determined standards of Ducati spec then I am fine with it. 
    My 950 Multistrada is a true love affair.  I very rarely run out of throttle. 
    The bike is outstanding for me.   :763:   
    Life behind bars enjoy the ride

• Offline Conman   gb

Offline Conman

• MTS 950 Pro
    • Town / City: Stockport
    Reply #46 on: May 17, 2021, 03:48:51 pm
    May 17, 2021, 03:48:51 pm
    The single thing that affects the oil reading on the bike is if the bike is on level ground. Even a slight tilt will tip the level from just below to just above the mark. Even the difference between warm and cold is not as much.

I'm lucky in that, after 30K miles, it does not use any oil between services. So I set the oil level on my motorcycle bench which I measured and know is level, then when I'm away I check the oil is somewhere up there in the glass and don't worry.
    Anything more than two wheels is unnecessary.

• Offline Speedo007   ca

• MTS 950 Junior  ‐    9

Offline Speedo007

• MTS 950 Junior
    Reply #47 on: November 23, 2021, 10:16:59 pm
    November 23, 2021, 10:16:59 pm
    *Originally Posted by ajy1w [+]
    I find 1 liter to 1000 miles seems excessive to be the standard for Ducati before you need worry.  My experience of 1 liter per 4000 miles seems like a lot to me in my bike ownership experience over 40 years.  I am not upset or worried, if I am within the determined standards of Ducati spec then I am fine with it. 
    My 950 Multistrada is a true love affair.  I very rarely run out of throttle. 
    The bike is outstanding for me.   :763:   

My 2018 BMW R9T urban GS burned about 1L per 10000km and BMW said anything under 4L/10000km was considered within specs (above that, they take the engine apart and inspect). It's mind blowing that modern engine can use so much oil. I'm considering a Multistrada V2S but if I had to add 1L per every 1600km, I wouldn't be a happy camper. I can ride 25-30000km a year, so that would mean up to 18-19L of oil between oil changes...

rage-intracellular