Author Topic: Break in period recommendations  (Read 2378 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline bifftws   us

    • MTS 950 Junior  ‐    2
    • *

    Offline bifftws

    • MTS 950 Junior
    • *
    • Posts: 2
    • Country: us
    • Bike: Multistrada 950
    • Town / City: Omaha
    Break in period recommendations
    on: May 08, 2019, 06:27:29 pm
    May 08, 2019, 06:27:29 pm
    New to 950 and the forum.  Just bought a new 950 (stole it for $10K even) and closing in on the 600 initial break period keeping it under 6K rpm.  Ducati recommends keeping it under 7k rpm until 2500 miles.  Local dealer says that is excessive and should be OK after the 600 initial break in as long as I not above 7k all the time.   Any personal experience or feedback on break in after 600 miles would be appreciated.  Don't want to damage the bike but will not be able to ride like a Harley until 2500 miles either.

    Thanks,
    Biff

  • Offline motorman   us

      #1

    Offline motorman

    • MTS 950 Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 217
    • Country: us
    • Bike: MTS 950
    • Town / City: San Antonio
    Re: Break in period recommendations
    Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 06:53:56 pm
    May 08, 2019, 06:53:56 pm
    After 600 mi I started to run mine up to 7k.  Occasionally I was a little over enthusiastic and hit 8k about a handful of times.  My manual (2017) rec the 7k for the first 1500 mi.  after that I let it hit 9-10 a couple times.  I don't normally redline my bikes, and with the great torque its more fun feeling the brapppp on roll on at 5k to 7-8k.  I have 4500 mi on mine now after 2 mo. 

    GREAT BUY at 10k!!!!   Did they issue a warrant after you left?

  • Offline ZiggyCol   gb

      #2

    Offline ZiggyCol

    • MTS 950 Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 197
    • Country: gb
    • Bike: MTS 950 (Red)
    • Town / City: Harrogate
    Re: Break in period recommendations
    Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 10:12:06 pm
    May 08, 2019, 10:12:06 pm
    I kept to the recommended limit up to the 600 mile service and have progressively increased revs since then. As long as you are not going mad thereafter I think the initial 600 miles are the most important.
    Life is not a rehearsal . . .

  • Offline simonkraushaar   nl

    • MTS 950 Member  ‐    59
    • **
      #3

    Offline simonkraushaar

    • MTS 950 Member
    • **
    • Posts: 59
    • Country: nl
    • Bike: 950s Touring
    • Town / City: Amsterdam
    Re: Break in period recommendations
    Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 10:35:25 am
    May 09, 2019, 10:35:25 am
    very interesting and informative video from fortnine on youtube regarding running-in advice ..

  • Offline Numbercruncher   us

    • MTS 950 Member  ‐    36
    • **
      #4

    Offline Numbercruncher

    • MTS 950 Member
    • **
    • Posts: 36
    • Country: us
    • Town / City: Spokane,wa
    Re: Break in period recommendations
    Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 05:13:31 pm
    May 26, 2019, 05:13:31 pm
    Any more at that price????  Crazy good deal.

    NC


    *Originally Posted by bifftws [+]
    New to 950 and the forum.  Just bought a new 950 (stole it for $10K even) and closing in on the 600 initial break period keeping it under 6K rpm.  Ducati recommends keeping it under 7k rpm until 2500 miles.  Local dealer says that is excessive and should be OK after the 600 initial break in as long as I not above 7k all the time.   Any personal experience or feedback on break in after 600 miles would be appreciated.  Don't want to damage the bike but will not be able to ride like a Harley until 2500 miles either.

    Thanks,
    Biff

  • Offline Tiree   england

    • MTS 950 Member  ‐    66
    • **
      #5

    Offline Tiree

    • MTS 950 Member
    • **
    • Posts: 66
    • Country: england
    • Town / City: Newark
    Re: Break in period recommendations
    Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 12:57:16 pm
    June 10, 2019, 12:57:16 pm
    My dealer says after 600 mile service just ride as normal , no need to adhere to 7k limit . To be honest Iím at 13000 miles now and apart from a small race from the lights yesterday against a yellow open top Lamborghini...Iíve not pushed the upper limits.

  • Offline BabyD   gb

      #6

    Offline BabyD

    • MTS 950 Master
    • ****
    • Posts: 650
    • Country: gb
    • Bike: Multi 1260s
    • Town / City: Buckinghamshire
    Re: Break in period recommendations
    Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 03:10:30 pm
    June 10, 2019, 03:10:30 pm
    if in doubt, flat out........from new

    that's what a warranty is for  :150: :156: :305:
    If I had a second brain cell it would be so lonely......

  • Online Wassers   gb

      #7

    Online Wassers

    • MTS 950 God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1246
    • Country: gb
    • Bike: 950S+Speed Twin
    • Town / City: Berkshire
    Re: Break in period recommendations
    Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 05:14:49 pm
    June 10, 2019, 05:14:49 pm
    *Originally Posted by BabyD [+]
    if in doubt, flat out........from new

    that's what a warranty is for  :150: :156: :305:

    Well at least scrub your new tyres in first... then braaapppp  :028:
    Sometimes you need a really crooked road to get your head straight

  • Offline bmw_al   gb

      #8

    Offline bmw_al

    • MTS 950 Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 299
    • Country: gb
    • Bike: MTS 950 - Red
    • Town / City: Crowborough
    Re: Break in period recommendations
    Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 09:24:08 am
    June 11, 2019, 09:24:08 am
    Always seems to bring diverse views the whole "running in" thing.  A cart engine builder once told me that its all about creating a gas tight piston ring seal, and to avoid laboring or over-revving the engine.  He said the most important thing to do was ride normally varying the engine load/throttle making a point of opening the throttle wide at lower engine speeds so the engine sees a full vacuum/draw down in the cylinder/s.  For a cart engine they tend to measure their run in period in minutes though.....

    In all honesty, as an owner of a few ex-demo ex-demo Bikes over the years (incl. the Mutley) I'm not sure it makes any real difference these days, as the surface finishes of pistons/bores is so much better than they ever used to be back in the golden olden days   :038: (N grades and engineers blue anyone??!)


  • Offline Numbercruncher   us

    • MTS 950 Member  ‐    36
    • **
      #9

    Offline Numbercruncher

    • MTS 950 Member
    • **
    • Posts: 36
    • Country: us
    • Town / City: Spokane,wa
    Re: Break in period recommendations
    Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 04:49:23 pm
    June 11, 2019, 04:49:23 pm
    Agree on everything you said here.

    I won't run a new engine too hard but won't lug it down either.  Lost of smooth acceleration in 3rd and 4th gears as opposed to screaming it's guts out in 1st or lugging in 6th at 45 mph.

    I hope to pick up a new 950 this week.

    NC


    *Originally Posted by ducati_al [+]
    Always seems to bring diverse views the whole "running in" thing.  A cart engine builder once told me that its all about creating a gas tight piston ring seal, and to avoid laboring or over-revving the engine.  He said the most important thing to do was ride normally varying the engine load/throttle making a point of opening the throttle wide at lower engine speeds so the engine sees a full vacuum/draw down in the cylinder/s.  For a cart engine they tend to measure their run in period in minutes though.....

    In all honesty, as an owner of a few ex-demo ex-demo Bikes over the years (incl. the Mutley) I'm not sure it makes any real difference these days, as the surface finishes of pistons/bores is so much better than they ever used to be back in the golden olden days   :038: (N grades and engineers blue anyone??!)