Author Topic: Mutley Down!  (Read 2136 times)

• Offline bmw_al   gb

Offline bmw_al

• MTS 950 Pro
    • Bike: MTS 950 - Red
    • Town / City: Crowborough
    Mutley Down!
    on: July 29, 2019, 04:40:57 pm
    July 29, 2019, 04:40:57 pm
    A great ride today around Seven Oaks Weald this PM marred only by a small, but costly mistake by yours truly.  Approached a T junction, and stopped, then decided to pull away and turn right swiftly (as a car was approaching), but alas, I was still in second gear.  As I pulled away the bike lunged forward, I committed lean to the turn, only for the Bike (understandably) to stall mid-turn and stop dead.......too committed - down she went  :087: :005:. Ouch.....  The rear of my right thigh is rather sore, and my back has a few twinges (I did walk the Bike back upright in the mostly correct manner I believe.... :034:)

Damage is fairly minor and the Bike is perfectly rideable - the SW Motech crash bars did a great job of taking the brunt of the fall.  Looking back at the Pics I'm not sure the exhaust heat shield has in fact been damaged in this accident - maybe just a stone chip?

Any top tips for good quality cost effective repairs gratefully received, as I have been out of work for the past 8 months, so don't really want to spend too much.  Right now I'm going to scour ebay and dealers for the RH indicator and hand guard, other than that I'll leave the rest for now.  I may try to rub down/repair the crash bar paint in time, or perhaps just buy the RH bar as a spare part?  The rest of the damage  (footpegs and the like) look like they could be gently returned to almost as good as new with judicous us of wet 'n dry rather than just replacing everything.

Oh well, off to limp downstairs......

• Offline Beitsta   ie

Offline Beitsta

• MTS 950 Pro
    • Bike: Multistrada 950
    • Town / City: Cork
    Re: Mutley Down!
    Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 05:34:00 pm
    July 29, 2019, 05:34:00 pm
    *Originally Posted by ducati_al [+]

The SW Motech crash bars did a great job of taking the brunt of the fall.  Looking back at the Pics I'm not sure the exhaust heat shield has in fact been damaged in this accident - maybe just a stone chip?

Oh well, off to limp downstairs......

Commiserations to you ducati_al!
    How easy it is to happen - The crash bars certainly appeared to have earned their money in saving the very expensive to repair/replace fairing.
    Well done in lifting it up-right - when I dropped mine outside my house at 1 MPH  :232:, I was unable to right it on my own and had to eat humble pie and ask my SWMBO (how much did the bike cost?) to help pick it up with me.

Pride is an awful injury...

Anyway, the main thing is that you're ok!
    Beitsta

• Online Wassers   gb

Online Wassers

• MTS 950 God
    • Bike: MTS & Speed Twin
    • Town / City: Berkshire
    Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 05:36:32 pm
    July 29, 2019, 05:36:32 pm
    I feel for you Ducati_al.

At least you are ok.

How ironic we've recently been discussing crash bars eh  :084: :164:
    Sometimes you need a really crooked road to get your head straight

• Offline ZiggyCol   gb

Offline ZiggyCol

• MTS 950 Pro
    • Bike: MTS 950 (Red)
    • Town / City: Harrogate
    Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 05:51:30 pm
    July 29, 2019, 05:51:30 pm
    Any damage to our pride and joys is annoying to say the least but you seem to have got away fairly lightly and you are ok so it could have been much worse. As you say a bit of careful restoration rather than replacement will help save on the pennies.
    Life is not a rehearsal . . .

• Offline ajy1w   us

Offline ajy1w

• MTS 950 Pro
    • Bike: MTS950 / HDFXR
    • Town / City: Maplewood
    Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 04:21:51 am
    July 30, 2019, 04:21:51 am
    Al,
    Sorry to hear, glad you are ok and the damage is minimal.
    I laid my 950 down in NYC last week.  Pedestrian walked out into the cross walk as I was slowly rounding the bumper traffic to get out of the BOX.  Even with my feet off the pegs between my almost not moving speed, the camber of the road in the direction of the turn of my bars and the weight of the bike with the dive of the front end from my immediate reaction.  I had to put it down.  Two strangers helped me stand it up.  No real damage other then ego.  My own fault. 
    A scratch to the my plastic hand guard.  Which I sanded out fairly well with light hand sanding 220 / 400 paper.  Mirror barely touched down.  small scratch to the hand guard light lens, and a 1.5 inch scratch to Ducati crash bars.  Also similar as your scratch to passenger peg.   
    All in all nothing you can see without close inspection. 
    Drove it home in a two hour down pour in bumper traffic. 
    Once home I felt as though I had endured a real adventure. 
    Am contemplating bar and rear wheel sliders.   
    Top side up for all. 
    Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 04:26:08 am by ajy1w
    Life behind bars enjoy the ride

• Offline bmw_al   gb

Offline bmw_al

• MTS 950 Pro
    Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 12:09:14 pm
    July 30, 2019, 12:09:14 pm
    *Originally Posted by Wassers [+]
    I feel for you Ducati_al.

At least you are ok.

How ironic we've recently been discussing crash bars eh  :084: :164:

The irony was not lost on me.... :164:

Thanks all, never fun, but sometimes it will happen.  In fact looking back that's been my only road-based crash since being on big bikes , starting way back in 1997 (as opposed to car park or driveway static drops).  As you say pride is the most hurt but recovering well!  Turns out the only thing broken is one of the knuckle guard upper screw mounting posts, which I am trying to arlydite back on as we speak.  We all know that won't work, but I'm trying anyway....For interest, a new knuckle guard upper is 11.15, the knuckle guard frame is 25.90 and the indicator is 70.21.  So if/when my gluing fails, it's only 11.15 for the KG upper, and some sandpaper/paint for the crash bar, and other minor areas.

Thanks all -  as said above, including myself, lets keep it upright or thereabouts! :305:

Offline buzzardbilly   gb

Offline buzzardbilly

• MTS 950 Pro
    • Town / City: Gloucester
    Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 03:14:29 pm
    July 30, 2019, 03:14:29 pm
    .....just out of interest where are you buying the parts from - that sounds like some good prices (I have a scratched knuckle guard frame that I was thinking of replacing)

• Offline bmw_al   gb

Offline bmw_al

• MTS 950 Pro
    Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 04:05:11 pm
    July 30, 2019, 04:05:11 pm
    That would be Laguna Performance in Ashford buzzardbilly

Offline buzzardbilly   gb

Offline buzzardbilly

• MTS 950 Pro
    • Town / City: Gloucester
    Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 05:28:14 pm
    July 30, 2019, 05:28:14 pm
    Thanks ducaci-al  -so basically genuine Ducati spares then - Knuckle Guard part # 4601E121A ?  I was assuming the prices would be silly money

• Offline bmw_al   gb

Offline bmw_al

• MTS 950 Pro
    Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 08:38:55 pm
    July 30, 2019, 08:38:55 pm
    *Originally Posted by buzzardbilly [+]
    Thanks ducaci-al  -so basically genuine Ducati spares then - Knuckle Guard part # 4601E121A ?  I was assuming the prices would be silly money

...as was I, but sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised.  In actual fact I have found an online supplier where you can search by part number looking at a diagram, and when you hover over the ref no., up pops the description and price.
    (www.bike-parts-ducati.com).  For non-urgent parts like mine, I prefer this as my local dealer is at least an hour from where I live.  Hope this helps, and yes, it is the part number you mention for 25.90, same price on this website too.

rage-intracellular